I am so hungry. .. please help

lovelybones11
on 12/21/13 5:42 am
Please help. I am 9 daysout from sleeve to DS. I am sooo hungry. I am supposed to be on full liquid but its not worworking. I feel that I am destined for obesity and there is nothing I can do about it. I am sitting here eating vegetable soup and am not supposed to be but the worst part of it is that my body mind you only 9 days post opp is accepting this food like I have not had anything done. Some one please help! !!!!
MajorMom
on 12/21/13 7:02 am - VA

I don't think you're doing any damage but I would let your dietitian or surgeons office know. Drink some more protein shakes and cream of whatever soups, but let them know you're hungry. If they didn't re-sleeve you, I can definitely understand why you would be hungry after 9 days of liquids only. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

D. Switcher
on 12/21/13 11:27 am

No one follows their plan perfectly everyday. The first step for a lot of us is to learn "not to give up progress, for the sake of perfection." It takes time to change behaviour and that's a fact. With each dip, aim for the montain top again You will get there and it will work...

Sleeve to DS Conversion - Regain 290# Current weight: 252# - VSG lowest weight: 235#  

"Serenity to Accept, Courage to Change, and Wisdom to Know..."

***all comments are my personal experience and/ or opinion***

Huneypie
on 12/21/13 4:40 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Egg drop soup should help a little, plus yogurt, especially Greek yogurt.  Once you get on to solid foods you'll find that you fill up pretty quickly.  Chicken breast and cheese are filling, so hang in there.  Some people never lose the hunger, but you can still do well with the DS nevertheless.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Vicki PNW
on 12/22/13 1:01 am

The "rules" most likely apply to virgin DS,  I assume that your sleeve was not touched during the switch part of the surgery.  If that's true, then you should be able to eat soft foods.  Your stomach most likely is not swollen.  I know several patients who had the same kind of surgery and were able to eat foods after surgery.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Gillyc
on 12/22/13 1:09 am
DS on 12/17/13

I am only 5 days out, I also have hunger.  I don't mind right now, but just drinking clear liquids was driving me crazy :D  (does not get rid of the hungry feeling).  I did not exactly get a dietary guideline at first (I received a PDF of one yesterday morning but couldn't open it until today so I was winging it).  Until last night any liquids hurt when they hit my stomach but it's better now.  When I tried some pureed carrots 2 nights ago (about a teaspoon full over 30 minutes) it didn't hurt at all when it went down and I was super grateful.  Last night I had a fluffy scrambled egg and ate it over an hour, it killed my hunger and I didn't seem to have any issues (I've also chewed all those foods a lot so they are probably at least near liquid going down).  

Have you been having protein shakes/drinks?  I haven't yet had one because everything that could go wrong did go wrong (in getting to the hospital and out of it, not with the surgery).

I'm going to have one now (yay?)  call/e-mail the office and ask what they think is best/how they've handled patients with hunger in the past.  How long are you supposed to be on liquids before purees?  

MsBatt
on 12/22/13 1:51 am

Hunger is NORMAL. Your body knows it's not getting the fuel it needs to run on, and it's screaming at you. If you were not re-sleeved, I see no reason you can't have some soft foods, like scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yougurt, etc. Once you start eating real food, things will get better.

How was your hunger immediately after your original surgery. when you got your Sleeve?

fullhousemom
on 12/22/13 4:42 am
Every surgeon is different. I was never on a liquid diet once I got home, nor did I ever purree anything. Ms. Batt has some great suggestions. Cottage cheese, yogurt (greek is highest in protein), scrambled eggs and throw a little cheese in there (or a lot). Do a search of ricotta fluff and get an amazing recipe. You dont need to be hungry. There are foods you can eat. Don't expect to eat three times a day. Eat a little at a time and eat frequently.

With hydration so important, try different broths. I always found broth to be filling.
airbender
on 12/22/13 7:52 am

i was eating food by then....not on liquids....were you told to stay on liquids?  can';t understand why you are still on liquids....did the dr's office say to stay on liquids?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1049 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1208 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 501 views