Gas

Sandra N.
on 3/11/14 11:53 am - Grain Valley, MO

I am 6 years out and I am having so many problems with gas starts everyday around 3:00 in the afternoon and lasts all evening. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat I have it all the time. I don't know how one body can hold so much gas. Please any suggestions.

Sheanie
on 3/11/14 3:07 pm

You're farther out than I am, but have you written down what you're eating to pinpoint the culprit?  Been on an antibiotic lately?  Tried a good probiotic like Florastor to knock out any possible bacterial overgrowth? 

Some idiotic restaurants put pancake batter in their omelets (Denny's), so look for hidden flour in your favorite go-to safe foods.  I made shrimp scampi the other night and had gas, so I dug out the box and read the label:  FLOUR.  In my damn shrimp scampi, which you'd logically think only had shrimp, butter and spices, right?  Well, you'd be as wrong as I was.  So read your labels, again.

Barring all that, maybe a round of Flagyl?  Periodically, us vets sometimes need that.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Amy W.
on 3/14/14 9:51 pm - Buckeye, AZ
It was probably also the butter that gave you gas...

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

PeteA
on 3/12/14 12:25 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sheanie makes good points. If you can't ID a food culprit maybe a round of flagyl followed by probiotics would help. 

docputer
on 3/12/14 1:08 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13
The other night I had a terrible bout of gas, and narrowed it down to chicken that I bought. Got the same product last month, and it didn't have flour in the coating, now "newer improved" with flour.

Valerie G.
on 3/12/14 3:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's gotta be something - and something you're eating around lunchtime or thereafter on a regular basis.  1-3 hours is the normal time for a reaction.  Think....carbs...sugar....artificial sweetener?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DEBRA M.
on 3/6/17 4:23 pm, edited 3/6/17 8:26 am

Hello there Sandra,

I too had the DS, in 2013. Experienced Horrendous flatulence of an unsociable magnitude. Years trying to identify the dietary culprit proved fruitless. While taking antibiotics for a unrelated issue, I noticed the problem greatly improved. I am now on prophylactic abx and am enjoying a normal gas life. The other related issue I had been dealing with since surgery, explosive & frothy diarrhea, has also resolved with the treatment.

katinhouston
on 3/19/17 9:03 pm - Houston, TX

I'm not sure if I am alone in this, but since surgery I am EXTREMELY sensitive to any sugar alcohols! They are the devil and they are hidden in many many things that you would not think they would be in. Of course the normal culprits of sugar-free candies and sweets and many protein bars etc. but I have found them in so many things.

They are in many chewable bariatric and regular vitamins (my stomach pains/gas would start around 12-1pm when I was taking some chewables with sorbitol so maybe something to think about).

Some exmples of hidden sugar alcohols are: regular candy, imitation crab (why?), Girl Scout cookies-caramel delights, grocery store bakery items with fruit, every single sugar-free gum available!, and probably the most annoying TOOTHPASTE-even all the 'all natural' toothpastes.

Once I discovered that sugar alcohols are in toothpaste as well as many mouthwashes, and most oral care products- I switched to Ecodent tooth powder. My stomach rumbling and gas decreased to pretty much 'normal' level.

It's annoying but I am so thrilled that I figured out the connection between my rumbling stomach and sugar alcohols. I am a total label reader now-its the only way to be sure they are not hidden in your food! Who would have thought imitation crab!?!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 244 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views