Can't seem to stomach anything?

Jeff Z.
on 12/29/21 9:02 pm - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
This could be my first post in this section ever (spent all my time back in the day in the Ontario section), though I haven't posted in years for whatever reason.

So hi, my name is Jeff and I'm 9.5 years out on my DS (12 years since the initial VSG). Was 778lbs at my highest recorded weight and I'm presently 255lbs and dropping.

Recently I've all of a sudden started having issues tolerating food. I have to force myself to eat at least once a day minimum knowing that I'm likely going to feel miserable. Doesn't matter what it is.

I'm going to give a rundown of an issue that came on suddenly as I'm not sure if it is due to my DS. Perhaps someone else has had something similar and maybe it is part of the reason for my current issue. I just know that not eating is not helpful and sadly the Ontario government abandoned me after my surgeries in 2009 and 2012. I tried for years to get them to move my file back to the only facility that had any DS knowledge. I never had proper blood work done. And I've had to pick one vitamin over another as my income level is so low I can't afford the full regimen. I don't even get the chance to try and prove how for my case vitamins and supplements are vital the way prescription drugs are for other issues, as a special needs case.

End of January 2021 I was under the weather for a few days and thought it was just food related. Celebrated my birthday, but then thought I had the symptoms of a UTI. Was prescribed antibiotics after a phone appointment with my doctor. Then I began having pain while sitting and we thought maybe it was prostate inflammation so an even stronger antibiotic was given. Each passing day the pain just got worse and worse. Eventually I could only lay in bed and even then the pain was constant. I endured 32 days of misery taking as many low dose oxycocet as I could along with Tylenol to try and numb the pain.

I fell and landed right on my left buttock, which was the painful side, as I was trying to change and I ran out of stamina and blacked out for a moment. The pain was unreal and I clearly burst something as I saw some drops of blood on the floor when I managed to get back up and get to my bed. My mom saw the blood soaked pillow I had under me later that night when she brought me ice and water and I declined to go to the hospital as I said it looked worse than it was. Told her I had an in person appointment with our doctor in a couple days and wanted to see what he had to say. Next day I tried to use the toilet and couple as the pain was just too much. I collapsed in the hall on the way out and my mom came in and found me as she left work early as she just had a feeling.

Shortly after arriving at the ER via ambulance I learned I had necrotizing fasciitis (aka flesh eating bacteria). Just before midnight I was transferred to another hospital and on the OR table. Thankfully when I woke up I learned the bacteria didn't get any vital things below the belt. I lost part of a cheek, and thankfully no colostomy. Though it was a lengthy, painful and ongoing recovery. I still getting recurring abscesses on the right side and on December 24th I actually had to go by ambulance after a new infected abscess flared up to have it lanced.

With so much time spent in bed this year my abdomen muscles are somewhat atrophied, but I was wondering if that was masking symptoms of a gallbladder issue as I would have almost immediate reflux or nausea from eating or drinking. Now that has sort of dissipated a bit, but I'm dealing with diarrhea and my stomach constantly being in knots.

Sorry for the length. I can be a long-winded person at times. I've been thinking of just going on a liquid diet for a bit of just some whey protein shakes for protein, and then water or flavoured water to keep hydrated. I'd just be happy to get rid of the diarrhea and stomach unease. I miss how life was before all this happened. A normal day was using the washroom when I got up, and then being good until before I began my night routine. Feeling like I constantly have to go drives me crazy.

Thanks for those who actually made it through this, heh. I appreciate anyone who might have suggestions, advice, went through something similar, etc.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

cheapskate
on 12/30/21 7:26 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I Didn't have DS, but RNY, but when I have had periods like that I suggest you eat whatever protein forward things you can tolerate.

I would also prioritize another appointment with your surgeons office if possible. If not your GP.

hollykim
on 12/30/21 8:28 am, edited 12/30/21 12:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 30, 2021 at 5:02 AM Pacific Time, Jeff Z. wrote: This could be my first post in this section ever (spent all my time back in the day in the Ontario section), though I haven't posted in years for whatever reason.

So hi, my name is Jeff and I'm 9.5 years out on my DS (12 years since the initial VSG). Was 778lbs at my highest recorded weight and I'm presently 255lbs and dropping.

Recently I've all of a sudden started having issues tolerating food. I have to force myself to eat at least once a day minimum knowing that I'm likely going to feel miserable. Doesn't matter what it is.

I'm going to give a rundown of an issue that came on suddenly as I'm not sure if it is due to my DS. Perhaps someone else has had something similar and maybe it is part of the reason for my current issue. I just know that not eating is not helpful and sadly the Ontario government abandoned me after my surgeries in 2009 and 2012. I tried for years to get them to move my file back to the only facility that had any DS knowledge. I never had proper blood work done. And I've had to pick one vitamin over another as my income level is so low I can't afford the full regimen. I don't even get the chance to try and prove how for my case vitamins and supplements are vital the way prescription drugs are for other issues, as a special needs case.

End of January 2021 I was under the weather for a few days and thought it was just food related. Celebrated my birthday, but then thought I had the symptoms of a UTI. Was prescribed antibiotics after a phone appointment with my doctor. Then I began having pain while sitting and we thought maybe it was prostate inflammation so an even stronger antibiotic was given. Each passing day the pain just got worse and worse. Eventually I could only lay in bed and even then the pain was constant. I endured 32 days of misery taking as many low dose oxycocet as I could along with Tylenol to try and numb the pain.

I fell and landed right on my left buttock, which was the painful side, as I was trying to change and I ran out of stamina and blacked out for a moment. The pain was unreal and I clearly burst something as I saw some drops of blood on the floor when I managed to get back up and get to my bed. My mom saw the blood soaked pillow I had under me later that night when she brought me ice and water and I declined to go to the hospital as I said it looked worse than it was. Told her I had an in person appointment with our doctor in a couple days and wanted to see what he had to say. Next day I tried to use the toilet and couple as the pain was just too much. I collapsed in the hall on the way out and my mom came in and found me as she left work early as she just had a feeling.

Shortly after arriving at the ER via ambulance I learned I had necrotizing fasciitis (aka flesh eating bacteria). Just before midnight I was transferred to another hospital and on the OR table. Thankfully when I woke up I learned the bacteria didn't get any vital things below the belt. I lost part of a cheek, and thankfully no colostomy. Though it was a lengthy, painful and ongoing recovery. I still getting recurring abscesses on the right side and on December 24th I actually had to go by ambulance after a new infected abscess flared up to have it lanced.

With so much time spent in bed this year my abdomen muscles are somewhat atrophied, but I was wondering if that was masking symptoms of a gallbladder issue as I would have almost immediate reflux or nausea from eating or drinking. Now that has sort of dissipated a bit, but I'm dealing with diarrhea and my stomach constantly being in knots.

Sorry for the length. I can be a long-winded person at times. I've been thinking of just going on a liquid diet for a bit of just some whey protein shakes for protein, and then water or flavoured water to keep hydrated. I'd just be happy to get rid of the diarrhea and stomach unease. I miss how life was before all this happened. A normal day was using the washroom when I got up, and then being good until before I began my night routine. Feeling like I constantly have to go drives me crazy.

Thanks for those who actually made it through this, heh. I appreciate anyone who might have suggestions, advice, went through something similar, etc.

I would take a stool sample in to be tested to see what might be causing the diarrhea.

also carbs will cause loose stool on ppl with ds, especially white flour products.

reflux is not unusual in ppl with ds, as the stomach is made into a narrow sleeve and as the stomach is a high pressure system anyway, the sleeve can cause or make existing reflux worse. I would ask for/ take Nexium or the like for the reflux.

• acid reflux can cause nausea, vomiting, and chest pain mimicking a heart attack.

• gallbladder issues often cause pain in the center of the breast bone area, and can be mild to severe.

• the flesh eating bacteria, obviously, has nothing to do with your DS.

• I would do my very best to stay on plan, high protein, high fat, low to no carbs snd continue to lose weight as the ulcers will likely improve as you approach a normal weight.

edited to add: dehydration can cause nausea so I would make sure I was getting 64+ oz of sf fluid s day.

sweetpotato1959
on 2/8/22 4:30 pm

Jeff, How are you doing now?

I am seeing this 45 days after your post. sounds like you could have a gastritis or obstruction.. my guess i s gastritis. i would go with liquid and cold proteins.. High protein , Very low sugar, l would make from scratch and use eggs/whey if you tolerate, and no artificial sweeteners. At the same time i would add in big doses of pre and pro biotcs to restore gut flora.( after rounds of antibiotics they will be in the basement and those good bacetria are needed for digestion.)..You can boost those enzymes by drinking buttermilk, eating natural yogurt, (look for one with few ingredients.) If you tolerate milk products. Other sources would be.Keifer, Kraut,and other fermented foods.

I have frequent gastritis and i have had intestinal twist 2 x.- which does obstruct. I use ice chips heavily and then follow with Rice only for 36 hours..I use 2-3 tablespoons for a meal and 3/4 cup a day. once to that level of tolerance... i add poached eggs.Prevacid 30 mg 2x a day is my dose for immediate care. it out performs all other medications for me.I purchase across the counter 15 mg capsules and take 2 .

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views