An Introduction

semitchell1972
on 10/30/11 1:38 am
Good morning to all. I wanted to introduce myself and would love to get to know other women who understand what it is to be obese.

My name is Shannon. I am 39 years old, married with 7 children. My oldest is 14 and my youngest are 1 year old twins. I am a recovering addict with about 7 1/2 years clean. I stay very involved in 12 step fellowships, so I have a lot of support.

I have been overweight my entire life. I don't know whot it is like to not be overweight. My number one reason for wanting to lose the weight is for my own health. Then it is for my family...I want to be able to do things with my husband and children that I can't do because of my weight.

I have been thinking about weight loss surgery for some time now. I just found out that my insurance does cover the surgery. Now I have to find a doctor that takes it.  I am in Northern Illinois.

Thank you all for being here.
Lisa Tucker
on 10/30/11 2:04 am - Streator, IL
Revision on 04/19/13
Hi Shannon,

You found a great place to come to.

A lot of us went through the Kane Center at Alexian Bros. But, it will depend on your insurance, and where they refer you to. Check with them to see.

Congrats on wanting to become healthy. We all made that choice. It was a lifesaver for me. Your family will love you for it. Already we know that you are a very strong person. This is another way to make you stronger.

Please stay in touch. Let us know who you decide on. We are always here for you and each other. This qroup of women, as well as some men, really care ablut each other. Not only in our weight concerns, but for everything about the others.

Huggers,
LISA
ChristineB
on 10/30/11 4:33 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Shannon, good to "meet" ya. Me and my husband both had RNY 8 years ago, he with the Kane Group and me with what was then the WISH Center, now my doctor is in his own private practice called LifeWeigh Bariatrics out of Downers Grove. We live in the NW 'Burbs.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Nancy G.
on 10/30/11 5:21 am - La Salle, IL
Hello Shannon!

Welcome to the boards.  I am Nancy and I had RNY surgery through Dr. Connie McClelland in Harvard IL and I highly recommend her.  Not sure where you are located.  I am in LaSalle which is on I-80 south of Rockford.

Congratulations on your 7 1/2 years of being clean.     That is an achievement in itself.  I have several family members who battle alcoholism and I know how diffulcult it can be.  

Oh my, 7 kids?  1 year old twins?  How do you manage?  I would be tearing my hair out.  My hat is off to you!

It took me a good 5 years to get to the point of deciding to have surgery.  Would I do it again?  Yes, in a heartbeat.  I too have always struggled with weight and have never known what it is like to be thin.  I lost 150lbs with my surgery and am considered to be a success but am still obese.  Sigh.  

This board is the best for asking questions, getting support, gaining new friends and a great place to vent.  

Come back often! 

Cat Lady

berts4
on 11/1/11 1:53 am - Rock City, IL
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!!

So glad to see you here and you are definately in the right place!

I am also in Northern Illinois, Rock City to be exact.  Rock City is about 40 miles west of Rockford, before you get to Freeport.

Congratulations on making this decsion for a healthier life.  I have 3 children and 2 grandchildren and can now do things with them that they never thought I could.

I can't IMAGINE having 7 kids!  Kudos to you!

Anything we can help with, let us know, that is why we are here for each other!

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

semitchell1972
on 11/1/11 8:30 am
I am actually in Freeport. I know right where Rock City is. Thank you for the welcome. What kind of surgery did you have? I am trying to figure out the best route to go that my insurance will pay for.
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1066 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5591 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5336 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5364 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5398 views