hello & help!

missyrooper
on 5/20/16 10:42 am

Hi all!

My name is Misa, & I'm seriously considering weight loss surgery. I have a few health issues, many pain related, & as I'm in my 30s now I'm finding it harder & harder to lose weight - &, sadly, to live my life. I'm at a crossroads for certain, & it's time for a change.

I'm wondering how many of you had your surgeries in the Chicago area? University of Chicago, or anywhere north side? Also, I realize there are a few kinds (I've done my research), but what are your thoughts as to the benefits of each?

Most importantly, I'm wondering about how long it takes to get approved through BCBS (I have a PPO) - once you have your ducks in a row, obviously. I realize everyone's case is different, I'm just curious & would love any inspiration I can find right now.

Thanks so much, have a great weekend!

Misa

LisaTucker
on 5/21/16 5:10 am - IL

Welcome Misa,

I had my surgery done at the Kane Center, in Elk Grove Village, by Dr. Guskie, at Alexian Bros. Medical Center. He is very understanding and great with WLS.

1.  The first thing you should do is check with your BCBS. rep and Find out what they require.

2. Attend  an informational meeting given by the Dr you select.

3. At this meeting, they may give you a packet of forms for you to fill out.

4, When you see the Dr. for the first time, he will discuss the different  surgury's.

5. This is not a quick process. You will need to see a few doctors before hand.

6. this is the start of your journey. It will go fast. sorta.

7. Our group is small, but we care and we are here whenever you need us.

I am also on Facebook, if you want you can friend me @ Lisa Silberberg Tucker.

Lisa

Lisa

berts4
on 5/25/16 5:56 am - Rock City, IL

Hi Misa and welcome!

Lisa hit all the high points of the beginning of this journey.

Many times, insurance, including BCBS, will ask you to jump through hoops.  Even though I had many failed attempts at losing weight, I still had to (re)do a 6 month trial of Phentermine with specific record keeping involved.  Once that was done, approval was rather quick.  I guess I'm trying to tell you that you should indeed call them to see what, "ducks" need to be in a row to avoid disappointment.

I live about 2 hours northwest of Chicago, so I had my surgery done at UW Madison, WI almost 10 years ago.  I have had an interesting journey and am actually scheduled to see my surgeon on June 6.

Welcome again and best of luck to you!  

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

missyrooper
on 6/20/16 11:02 am

Ladies, thank you so much!

I'm sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your responses until now. I actually just scheduled my first appointment w/a surgeon @ UChicago (& got in before the end of the month due to a cancellation - I'm quite happy w/that!).

Your advice is much appreciated - knowing that there are are others who are willing to take time / help others navigate through this process makes it seem as though it's not quite the mountain it seems @ first. This was perfect timing to find your posts. I am truly looking forward to this next chapter in life.

Thanks again,

*misa*

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1073 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5601 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5344 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5371 views