New Here with a Medicaid Question

Melissa B.
on 5/18/04 7:37 am - Almost Chicago, IL
Hi everyone! I have medicaid and I was wondering if anyone knew if it cover surgery. My husband had RNY and I was going to but alot of crap happened and it didn't go through. I went through everything short of the papers being submitted so now that I no longer have insurance and have Medicaid, I was wondering if I could submit to them and if they would pay. Please let me know! Thanks Melissa
Proud Military Mom
on 5/18/04 7:49 am - Reno, NV
Melissa yes they do and I will save you tons of foot work, there are 4 surgeons who will accept if with little or nothing out of your pocket... Dr. Shayani In maywood.... he only does the Lap Band and he requires you to go to one support group meeting then will schedule a consult he moves pretty fast and I am using him along with a couiple others here. 708-327-2899 Dr. Oliphant in Urbana he moves slower you have to call his office for a packet fill it out send it back in and you'll hear from them for an appointment in a few months I think he's currently scheduling for december. 217-383-3240 RNY only The surgeon at the COMP clinic at SIU they require a $260 up front to cover things that medicaid wont ??? and then 10-20 for nutritionist appointments and support group costs too. (217) 545-COMP RNY only There's a surgeon in Bloomington Indiana that is seeking Illinois Public Aid providership and will have it by Mid June. His name is Dr. Bradley Ray 812-330-9962 RNY and LAP Band Now I hope this helps, I would research both surgeries to be sure what you want, both have plus's and minus' GOod luck and let us all know how your doing and what surgeon you picked!!! Debby
Melissa B.
on 5/18/04 8:19 am - Almost Chicago, IL
WOW! Thank you SO MUCH! I am in Oak Park, so Maywood wouldn't be bad. I am looking into the Lap Band because I have a 3 year old and I really can't be too much out of commission like my husband was with his RNY. I am going to research that doctor. Thank you SO much for all the info. I did the psych eval last year. I also took the MMPI already so I am wondering if I can just get copies of all that stuff. You say a small amount out of pocket...what do you consider a small amount? Thank you so much! Melissa
Proud Military Mom
on 5/18/04 8:30 am - Reno, NV
I will tell you I live down near St. Louis and I loved Dr. Shayani and I am more than willing to drive the 4+ hours up there to have him as my surgeon, I was very very impressed with him and his statistics. He also seems very flexible on accepting past test results as long as they aren't to old. As far as a small amount out of pocket, I dont believe there is any with Dr. Shayani atleast I havent gotten to that point if there is. The out of pocket i was referring to was more for the SIU COmp clinic. And I really didnt think that was a small amount, it was to much for me! As far as the Lap Band is concerned I liked the mortality rate on the Lap Band compared to the RNY, I also liked the idea that If 10 years down the road I begin to gain weight back I just need a quick fill in the office, with the RNY if you start to gain wait your looking at major surgery and a revision. Of course I'll get slammed by my RNY friends for saying that LOL Hey update your profile and tell us about you and your family etc... and welcome to the IL Board everyone here is great and really helpful. there's also a board for lap band http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/surgtype-forums/LapBand/posts.html if you have any Lap Band specific questions they'd be a good group to direct them to. Good luck with your research!!! Debby
Melissa B.
on 5/18/04 8:42 am - Almost Chicago, IL
OK...well, how much was it darn it! LOL What is the SIU Comp Clinic? What hospital does he work out of? If he's in Maywood, I was thinking he'd do surgery out of somewhere around here. If you want, feel free to email me so we don't bother everyone with the back and forths. You can IM me on AIM Mealies8 Yahoo [email protected] or MSN [email protected] Thanks for all the info!
michelle
on 5/18/04 1:56 pm - Swansea, IL
Hi Melissa, The 260 is for the COMP clinic. COMP means Comprehensive Obisity edical Program, or something like that. It is in Springfield, IL. That is the SIU hospital. Dr. Shayani is in Maywood at Loyola Univ. Med center.
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/04 10:12 am - Rosiclare, IL
Are you up by Chicago?
Melissa B.
on 5/18/04 11:56 am - Almost Chicago, IL
Yes, I'm in Oak Park.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/04 6:38 am - Rosiclare, IL
Then you should be able to fine more docs then us that excepts pd card..Wish i was up that way..Good Luck!!
Metal Girl
on 5/19/04 9:33 am - Rockford, IL
http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/state-forums/IL/postdetail/3884.html?vc=0 I posted this the other day.... University Surgeons(My Dr.-Dr. Deziel) accepts Medicare as far as I know. Rush Hospital in Chicago NO LONGER ACCEPTS MEDICARE FOR PAYMENT FOR WLS. I heard the desk ladies explain this to at least 5 people. Tracy Lap-RNY 8.14.03 -130lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1073 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5601 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5344 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5372 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5408 views