WLS Law

Danielle M.
on 5/30/04 2:09 am - Vilseck, Germany
Hi--Has anyone on here used a lawyer to get approval? I was just turned down and am starting on my appeal--I was wondering if I should do It myself or get a lawyer....AND has anyone used the ObesityLaw.com people? Thanks A very frustrated Danielle
Kathy D.
on 5/30/04 4:37 am - Skokie, IL
Hi Danielle......... I'm sorry I can't help you with finding a lawyer to handle your appeal......I am still in the insurance aproval stage myself and HOPING not to have to get to know any of the lawyers. GOD willing ! I just wanted to take a minute to wish you the best of luck with your journey. I keep hearing people say "never give up". I honestly believe that. I know I want and need WLS and I WON'T take no for an answer. So, hang in there...... I'm sure that if it's meant to be.......you'll get your WLS and join the many on here that have already crossed over to the "losing" side. Huggs, Kathy (a wanna-be "loser")
Linda M.
on 5/30/04 1:23 pm - WayNorthIn, IL
did your original letter come from your primary care physician? did it contain all the diets you've been on with the successes and failures? co-morbidities you have and their ICD codes. past medical histor of your parents/siblings co-morbidities with ICD codes. are you trying for a band? rny? if it's a band, make sure you include the fact that it's the least non-invasive weight loss surgery and minimal post op problems. include something that states the band is fda approved for several years and include the ICD code for Laparascopic Adjustable Gastric Banding. include something about the very short rate of recovery too. cost effective too. i was in a 6am to the surgical area. in surgery by 7, home by 4 and outside walking at 7pm. those same day surgeries are a real money maker for the hospitals but a real savings to the insurance co. i had to write a letter about my diet history for day one til the present. i had to have doctor supervised diet done. i got all the progress notes from that doc who just handed out speed to whoever came to him. then when our couldn't sleep from the speed, he'd hand out sleeping pills. i don't think there's such a thing as too much infomation but just hit on all the information. i wrote a letter and my pcp wrote a letter. we sent them to united healthcare and i got approved. i was sent letter of authorization and called and got precert #'s and authorization #'s. went for my preop testing and got billed for it all. went on with the surgery as planned and 3 weeks later found out UHC said it wasn't covered. said there was an exclusion to the policy. i fought and fough. called 6 people and got 6 different answers. the last person finally asked me to tell her about the approval letter. i told her it was from some nursing coordinator and i was approved based on medical necessity. i got it in writing and so did the surgeon. ok..had the surgery and then got a bill for almost $40K!!!! freaked me out. got on the phone to UHC and talked to another person who checked it all and said ther was a whole bunch of things paid but the EOB is in the mail. i finally got 29,649 paid adn i pay 93 and change. i can deal with that. there are people on various forums who have information about obesity law. who to call. who to write to. i'd try it n my own first. just be prepared to fight.
Gabby W.
on 5/30/04 7:19 pm - Chicago, IL
I've heard good things about Walter. If you would like additional information about filing an appeal, I suggest that you check the BandstersInsurance group on yahoo. There is a wealth of information available, including letter samples. Best of luck to you! Gabby
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1073 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5601 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5344 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5372 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5407 views