Please give me the strength not to cave in...

Born Swimmer
on 5/8/05 11:29 am - Sunny, FL
I know I just posted here about starting my 2 week liquid diet... after day 2... I am miserible!!! Did anyone have problems with diraherria? Yeah... that's me... I start class tomorrow... and I'm nervous about the bus ride... In addition I am peeing like a race horse!!! I feel a little better... still incredibly tired, nautious, dizzy, and blurry vision. I got teary eyed at the thought of eating a lot (mmmm salad, breadsticks, pasta...) and actually feeling full for the first time in 2 days. The hunger pangs are so horrible it is unreal...I feel miserible now... will I be better after surgery? This is the first time I second guessed what I'm doing... Please tell me it will be better soon and even better (and worth it) after surgery!!! Any support or advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Alyssa
vicki in indy
on 5/8/05 11:32 am - Indianapolis, IN
Alyssa, Sweetie, it sure does get better. Especially after surgery. All you will feel like for several days is liquids. Right now is the hardest part most likely. Hang in there. Drink Drink Drink. It does get better and so worth it. Hugs Vicki in Indy
Kay K.
on 5/8/05 11:58 am - Nashville, TN
Hi Alyssa, I'm in the same boat as you. I started the liquids last Monday. It was awful. I felt sick to my stomach because I was so hungry. Around day 4 or 5 it got a little easier. I wasn't nauseous and the diarrhea stopped. I had to keep really busy and drink lots of water. Try hot tea. I found that kinda soothing. Keep the protein drinks going that helps too. Also, Imodium helps with the diarrhea. I have lost 9 lbs this week. I am absolutely exhausted. But, the good news is I won't gain it back. I have a week to go. Tomorrow is the pre admission testing. Nothing by mouth until tomorrow afternoon. Those protein drinks are going to be a pure joy tomorrow afternoon. I have a friend who is 15 months out and she swears it is worth everything you go thru. She better not be lying!!!!
Bethany :.
on 5/8/05 12:35 pm
Hi there, This pre-admission testing...can you describe what that entails? Thanks! Also...hope you feel better soon. Are you restricted for two weeks of all liquids? Getting ready to start process and just curious about all that happens. Thanks !
j. lynn
on 5/8/05 1:25 pm - NE
every doctor does different things for their pre-op tests. I had my major tests run by my PCP 2-3 months before surgery. Then on my pre-op test visit day, all they did was draw blood and test lung capacity before my surgery. jayme
Born Swimmer
on 5/8/05 1:30 pm - Sunny, FL
I had a lung functiton test, blood drawing, upper GI (barium swallow) to see on a monitor how my stomach, esophagus and intestines look pre-op, and a dietetic appointment.
Kay K.
on 5/8/05 3:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Pre admission testing for me is ekg, chest x-ray, breathing test, upper GI, blood work, urinalysis, and a venous doppler (ultrasound of the legs). My doctor does it within 2 weeks of surgery. I am supposed to do 1 week of 2 protein drinks and 1 lean cuisine at night. Then 1 week 4 protein drinks per day. Then 2 days prior to surgery, clear liquids only. I have been buying up sf jello, juice, broth, liquid gas x, and tylenol. I also plan to buy baby spoons to eat with. That was also recommended by my doctor.
Born Swimmer
on 5/8/05 1:28 pm - Sunny, FL
So... around day 4 or 5 my dirhaerria will stop... oh boy... I'm only on day 2!!! ~Alyssa
kingfish
on 5/8/05 12:37 pm - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
Hi Chick, I have just finished 7 days of the liquid diet, found the first two days so hard that I found I was only focussed on how hungry I was, the only thing that got me through was knowing I had no choice. I also looked at "calorie free" liquids, and made a clear chicken broth out of boneless and skinless chicken breasts. I added a little salt to give it some flavour and it was so nice especially since it is approaching winter here in New Zealand. My problem was feeling incredibly constipated on day five, but that is sorted too! Good luck and hang in there! I am down about 13lbs since I started liquids so at least there is a positive for all the effort! One week to go! Marion
j. lynn
on 5/8/05 1:24 pm - NE
liquids in = liquids out. It will get better though (I think) as your body gets used to just liquids. It will get better after surgery, I promise. I think it really gets better once your body gets used to just liquids. They say that the first 10 days are the hardest. I had to do 6 weeks of liquids, so I know what you're going through. It is hard. It is worth it. jayme
Most Active