And now for something completely different

Jean M.
on 4/20/13 2:45 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I'd like to take a break from failed band discussions and spend some time talking about something any WLS patient ought to be able to answer, namely:

How much of your weight loss (if any) do you attribute to your WLS, how much do you attribute to yourself, and how much to other factors? Has this changed since your surgery?

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Jean M.
on 4/20/13 2:47 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

My WL attributions have varied during my WLS journey. Overall, I'd say that 30% of my WL success goes to my surgery, 30% to me (good nutrition, exercise, lifestyle changes), 30% to my support system (including online and in-person groups), and 10% to God. But that may be arrogant, and God's probably laughing at me even as I hit enter to post this comment.

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

gorditabonita
on 4/21/13 12:45 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Great topic, Jean!

How much of my weight loss do I attribute to WLS?

Well, I have only lost a significant amount of weight 3 times in my life - my senior year of high school (and into my freshman year of college), I lost 76 pounds on the Atkins diet; with my lapband in 2007, I lost 99 pounds; and, now with my sleeve, I have already lost 47 pounds and I am 13 weeks out from surgery. WLS has been a tremendous tool is helping me stay on target and reducing my portion size. I know that I can lose weight without WLS, but it is much MUCH harder for me to stick on plan because I hate being hungry. Fortunately, with the sleeve, I don't have that problem any more.

How much to myself?

Every time that I have been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, I have had to make drastic changes on the inside. I have had to love myself and to recognize that I am worth it. I have had to change the types of foods that I eat and exercise self control to stay away from the wrong foods. I also have had to make the effort, even when I am tired, to workout 3-4 times per week.

How much to other factor?

The only other factors that I can think of are my family history of heart disease. This 3rd go around with my sleeve, I am very cognizant of the fact that I am trying to "out run" or "out smart" my genes.....I am trying to take control of my diet so that I don't get heart disease too. My cholesterol and blood pressure have dramatically improved (basically resolved!) with my sleeve. That is something new with this 3rd go around. 

Has this changed since surgery?

WLS has allowed me to hit a "reset" button in my brain. I tell myself that after 3 surgeries (band, band removal, and sleeve), there are no excuses for me

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Jean M.
on 4/21/13 2:45 am
Revision on 08/16/12

WLS has allowed me to hit a "reset" button in my brain. I tell myself that after 3 surgeries (band, band removal, and sleeve), there are no excuses for me

No excuses for me, either!

Ms Shell
on 4/21/13 2:17 am - Hawthorne, CA

I attribute 100% of my weight loss to my WLS.  Before surgery I was hungry ALL the time.  I actually didn't realize HOW hungry I was until about 10 days out from surgery watching the food channel.  

At 3 years out I attribute 100% of my 25lb weight gain to myself.  I stopped following the rules, I learned that I can eat again after about an hour.  I learned that crap goes down smooth and ate tons of it (25lbs worth over a 2 month period).

At 5 almost 6 years out I attribute my CONTINUED maintaining of my weight loss to 75% me and 25% my WLS.  Now that I CAN eat more and KNOW the foods that WILL go down smoothly it's 75% me.  The 25% is still my inability to eat MUCH in one sitting.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Jean M.
on 4/21/13 2:47 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I attribute 100% of my weight loss to my WLS....At 3 years out I attribute 100% of my 25lb weight gain to myself.

Your honesty is refreshing. If we can't be honest with ourselves about our eating, lifetime maintenance of weight loss is an uphill battle.

Stephanie M.
on 4/21/13 2:18 am

The first 70 lbs about 50% me/band.  The last 20+ achalasia 

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pineview01
on 4/21/13 3:13 pm - Davison, MI

This is a hard one.  With the band I feel it was almost all me, but at least 75% or more me.  I made good choices until I couldn't eat them any more and than I made bad choices and gained.

This time around with the sleeve I feel the WLS is doing 75-80% or the work at this time.  I still have to keep my head in the game and make the right choices to fill me up as healthy as I can because I could still eat to much of the wrong stuff If I wanted to.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

prek-3
on 4/24/13 11:45 am - Hollywood, FL

Hi Jean!

How refreshing!!!!!!!

I can honestly say, that my Band has taught me about myself and I have finally have had to "deal" and "face" my issues.

Because my doctors office had such great post op services, they had wonderful well articulative instructors who drew me in to wanting to learn more about nutrition. I always thought because I had "dieted" so often, that I knew everything there was to "lose weight", but all I knew was how to "diet"! They also stressed that it was a "TOOL" and that any WLS  you chose goes back to changing lifestyle habits.

I am out of town currently  taking care of my mother, and after being with my siblings sooooo much, and seeing how they eat, I realized just how much I have changed, and really how much my "lifestyle"  has changed!!!!! I learned about nutrition and really have changed my life. I have been able to truly help Mom through nutrition & exercise changes to keep her Blood pressure and constipation at bay. Which is a small factor that she faces with her bigger issue, cancer.

This "TOOL" has made me face my "issues" and to address them as well. Through seeking professional help, which I now understand is our BIGGEST obstacle, our ""head" adjustments.

I choose the Band because I understood that I had to do the work, and by me doing the work, I can say "I did it". I had to actually "move" my body, I had to actually choose the food and eat it! And I have learned very slowly to understand what  a  "satisfied" feeling  felt like (although my head still interferes with my choices)! LOL

prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Most Active