Tracking Food Intake

Megan M.
on 8/14/11 5:53 am - Canada
Just wondering if I should be tracking anything in my food diary, i.e. how much protein, carbs, cals, etc.  Of should I just worry about qty (i.e. 1/4 cup total, 1/2 cup, etc.)?

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Karen M.
on 8/14/11 5:56 am - Mississauga, Canada
I use an online tracker that calculates everything for me.

www.fitday.com

Mainly though, I just pay most attention to the protein and carb counts to stay on track.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cyndylw
on 8/14/11 7:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Karen, I'm trying that fitday now, and I'm trying to add gardennay butternut squash soup, but I can't find it, do I just skip that or can I add it somehow?  
Referal sent August 2009 - Referred to Ottawa - January 2010 - Surgery - July 29th 2011!!!!    
KristieA
on 8/14/11 11:23 am - Orillia, Canada
I had to enter a lot of foods at first. There is a spot to add your custom foods and then a box similar to the nutrional contents come up. Enter the info from the package for a serving size,. When you select the food to add you measure in the amount of a serving you had. At least that is how I did it. Lots of work at first but now most of what I eat regularily is there.

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Karen M.
on 8/14/11 10:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada
What Kristie said. lol

You can add your own custom foods. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cheryl D.
on 8/14/11 11:41 am - Toronto, Canada
I've recently started using Fit Day again after slacking off for awhile.  It's really kind of addictive when you get into the habit of tracking.  It's a great tool, I highly recommend it.

Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

StayStrong
on 8/14/11 12:24 pm - Canada
What's Fit Day? I've just started tracking my food again (I'm 1 1/2 years post-op) and I'm using the health tracker on this site. Is there a better one?
To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something. (Lao Tzu)
Highest Weight: 293lbs         Surgery Weight: 266lbs (Mar. 1/10)
Current Weight: 205lbs         Goal Weight: 170lbs

Cheryl D.
on 8/14/11 1:41 pm - Toronto, Canada
FitDay is another online food tracking program.  I don't know that it's better than any other program, it just works better for me.  It's free if you'd like to try it at:

www.fitday.com

Cheryl

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

StayStrong
on 8/14/11 1:44 pm - Canada
Thanks, Cheryl. I'll check it out.
Barb :)
To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something. (Lao Tzu)
Highest Weight: 293lbs         Surgery Weight: 266lbs (Mar. 1/10)
Current Weight: 205lbs         Goal Weight: 170lbs

Mary A.
on 8/16/11 1:06 am
I personally never kept a diary..

.I did keep a running total of carbs, sugar and calories, but as time went on, that was left by the wayside, it's extremely important in the beginning until you can reform your eating habits and get to know what foods are high in fat, carbs etc etc

...as you become more seasoned in it all..you still read the labels, but you already know what foods to avoid completely, how much a serving is.

The clinic I went t handed out a really neat fridge magnet that explained how big a serving size was etc etc.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics