I want to jog...but I shouldn't right?

slrm2m2
on 1/31/13 12:31 am, edited 1/31/13 12:33 am - Canada

I've got osteoarthritis in both hips, worse in my right one, and since surgery I've had an amazing reduction in pain...like 80% less pain and I can walk for hours and hours!  I still struggle with some stiffness and limited range of motion.  I'm walking on the treadmill several times a week and really enjoying the exercise and I want to try jogging but I"m scared that I will hurt myself.  I have ramped it up to a light jog twice  and did notice that I had increased hip pain for a while afterward, but it went away.

Does anyone know if you can jog if you have OA in your hips and not do further damage?  Or should I just put the idea out of my head and accept the limitation and focus on walking, cycling and swimming as cardio options?  Could I slowly build up to longer periods of jogging and my body would adapt or was the increased pain my immediate warning sign to back off?

I know you guys aren't doctors, just wondering about other people;s experiences and opinions on this one.

Thanks!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/31/13 12:48 am - Ottawa, Canada

Why not try the elliptical trainer?  It's less jarring than jogging and provides support for your joints.  I just started the elliptical and love it!

mermaidz
on 1/31/13 1:26 am - Brampton, Canada

Personally my understanding is the eliptical is something you graduate up to... from the treadmill. You use a lot more of your body (lower back, hips, knees etc) and so it's considered a step up (pun intended)

I would see how your body feels, slrm. Check with your Doc and see what they say and/OR google it.

You dont want short term gain only to find out that the impact of jogging is grinding down whatever little barrier you might have left on your hip joints.  It's also known for being hard on the knees etc.

Good luck and let me know..

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Patm
on 1/31/13 1:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have wondered that myself. From what I can find the impact on the joints isn't great for them. The Arthritis society seems to stress walking and jogging in water. They want the muscles supporting the joints to strengthen. Having said that I would be interested in what a person with orthopedic training would say.

Lolabug
on 1/31/13 3:08 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Just so you know, the elliptical is easier on your knees than the treadmill and the cycle is the easiest on your knees of the three.

slrm2m2
on 1/31/13 3:17 am - Canada

Sorry I forgot to mention it in my original post, I already do the elliptical sometimes.  I just don't enjoy it as much as walking or (potentially jogging).  I think I know that jogging is out...but I had this dream of being a runner...something about the freedom totally appeals to me.  Oh well, I can try the jogging in the pool at least.  Thanks to all for your replies.

highlandbear
on 1/31/13 3:39 am - Canada

If it is your dream to run than talk to your doctor. I know a person who has osteoarthritis in her hips and she is running. She just knows when to say that is it I am done and walk the rest. For her she really listens to what he body is saying. You maybe surprise at what your doctor will tell you.

slrm2m2
on 1/31/13 4:26 am - Canada

Thanks for the encouragement...I will talk to my doctor...maybe ask for a physiotherapy referral as well to really start working on the range of motion issue.

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/13 6:41 am - Straford, Canada

You may want to look into exercise classes in the pool as well, I have attended a zumba and a jazzercise class in the pool, not really my thing but I can see why some folks love it!  

Derek C.
on 1/31/13 10:40 am - North Bay , Canada

As a manager of a fitness facility i reccommend looking into water jogging - basically wearing a waist floatation belt and mimicing the joging motion while in the water - the exact same benefits with zero impact - some places call i****er running .  I found that it helped me at the beginning before working up the courage to run on the treadmill and on the streets - BTW im can now run 10 km pretty effortlessly working towards a half marathon this summer - good luck in your quest

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics