Electric pressure cookers

VintageChick
on 8/24/13 3:45 am

Does anyone use one of these or similar? I didn't realize there were electric pressure cookers until I saw it on Facebook just now. I love food from cookers, but the old-fashioned kind are a lot of trouble. I'm thinking it might help tenderize meats for me, making them easier to tolerate. Input?

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-6-33-Quart/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377366107&sr=8-1&keywords=Instant+pot

lap RNY 5-15-13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/13 4:20 am - OH

Why do you say an old fashioned pressure cooker is "a lot of trouble"?  I use mine all the time.  I can brown a pot roast in it, throw in some veggies and seasonings, close it up, let it get up to pressure, then turn it down, walk away, and come back 40 minutes later, cool it down, and eat some very tender beef.  What could be more simple (besides throwing something in a microwave)?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

VintageChick
on 8/24/13 4:49 am

I purchased a nice one several years ago and never managed to get it up to pressure. I never figured out what I was doing wrong, and finally gave up. :(

I can run and troubleshoot high dollar laboratory analyzes but never mastered my own little pressure cooker. Pathetic, isn't it?!!! I think I finally lost a little 'bobble' piece to it. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

_Islander_
on 8/24/13 7:03 am
RNY on 03/11/13

I just bought a new pressure cooker. I love my old one and it's easy to use, but the new one has a feature I like .. once the food is cooked, it switches to "warm" making it a "set it and forget it" cooking appliance.

leisac
on 8/24/13 7:11 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

I'm in Australia and bought one about 12 months ago that is a combination pressure cooker/slow cooker. I was a slow cooker devotee previously but my slow cooker really hasn't been out of the cupboard since I bought my electric pressure cooker. Love it. So good to be able to come home from work and know that you can still cook most things- even stews, etc- without it being midnight before you eat. Probably use it most weeks and you're right it does tenderise the meat wll. 

Leisa

BWB
on 8/24/13 7:56 am

I was gifted with one and am not totally used to it yet.  I can't get the time right, get the lid on right, but the idea is a good one.  If I remember right, the manual is in super small type and that bugs me.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/24/13 8:01 am

nO , I DONT HAVE AN ELECTRIC ONE BUT I LOVE MY (I THINK MiRRO) I agree with Lora, so handy, do you have a book with yours? maybe google how to get it up to speed? I love it!!

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Another Fatone
on 8/24/13 8:43 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Mom cooked for a family of 6. She used a pressure cooker often. One day I came home from school and whatever was in the pot was now on the ceiling. I think she blamed it on a bad rubber gasket...back in the 50's.

AR_Queen
on 8/25/13 10:54 am
RNY on 05/29/13

My MIL had one explode in her kitchen when it was full of glass jars, canning vegetables.  They had to replace the cupboard doors because of the exploded glass damaging them.  Fortunately, no one was in the kitchen right at that time, and she had 5 kids!

Lezlie S.
on 8/24/13 11:55 am - Kouts, IN

I bought one and love it!  Meats are really tender!  

Lezlie S.
Highest weight 266
Weight at time of Surgery 248
Current weight 194 Goal weight 145