Why RNY vs VSG?

onlysunnydaysahead
on 1/25/15 7:29 am, edited 1/26/15 12:30 am
RNY on 05/12/15

I am sure this has been posted 100 times over and than you greatly for taking the time to answer. Why did you choose RNY over VSG? What were your results vs people you know to have had the VSG? Do you regret your choice? How are you doing now? Did you have complications if so what were they? Again, thanks a mill!

~Only Sunny Days Ahead~

selhard
on 1/25/15 7:50 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

1.  High BMI, high A1C levels and doctor recommendation  2.  slightly more weight loss results in RNY via support group observation  3. No regret  4.  No health issues but dislike dealing with constipation  5.  No complications, yet anyway.

karenp8
on 1/25/15 11:17 am - Brighton, IL

I chose RNY over VSG because I have a very slow metabolism as I learned when working with a dietitian. In 3 months of supervised diet and 45 minutes of exercise nearly every day,I lost 3 pounds. I needed the help of the malabsorption to jumpstart my weight loss. I also had a terrible sweet tooth and was hoping to dump,even though only about 30% of people do. I am so glad I made the choice I did. I lost 145 pounds in less than nine months and have stayed that weight for about 21 months. I went from having been heavy my whole life to being called tiny now. I no longer have high blood sugars,high cholesterol or high triglycerides. My blood pressure is now great too! I have had no complications but I do dump. I don't consider that a complication though,because as long as I read labels and eat wisely I don't have a problem. I am thankful every day for my surgery,because I got a second chance to live an active and healthy life. Best of luck on your decision!

kokosuggs
on 1/25/15 12:17 pm

I chose RNY for several reasons...my DR recommendations...I too am a sugar holic   & used to think dumping was going to be a bad idea (not saying its not bad)  but its a tool used to make healthier choices & NOT the sweets..My Dr has MORE experience in the RNY  & said bc its been around LONGER than the VSG that they know more about the results down the road...

I would suggest to continue to research, ask questions & talk to Dr about it...Good luck either way

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/25/15 12:47 pm

7 years ago my doc did not do VSG... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/15 1:15 pm - OH

I had RNY because sleeve wasn't an option in 2007.  If I were doing it now, however, I would opt for VSG and avoid the five doses of vitamins daily because of the lack of vitamin absorption and the prohibition on taking NSAIDs.  (Some surgeons tell VSGers to avoid them, too, but it isn't as absolute as for RNYers because RNYers can get ulcers in the blind remnant stomach and that is very difficult to diagnose and treat without surgery). Less than two years of caloric malabsorption isn't a good trade for a lifetime of vitamin malabsorption, IMO.

This has, indeed, been discussed a LOT here... At least once a week... and many of us won't re-type lengthy responses that many times, so I would suggest using the search function ("RNY vs VSG" or "bypass vs sleeve") to read replies to other posts on it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

onlysunnydaysahead
on 1/26/15 12:27 am, edited 1/26/15 12:29 am
RNY on 05/12/15

Thanks so much I wasn't sure how to search it. Where is the search box? I only see in the upper left (find a ...)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views