Newbie - Sassy Senior in Dallas

SassySenior
on 10/14/11 9:59 pm - DALLAS, TX
I am 65, and at high risk with a high BMI  & co-morbidities. I have been studying wls for 10 years. I have Medicare now and can get the surgery. I'm going with the Lap Band. I'm on the pre-op diet, and have lost 25 pounds in 3 months.

I live in Dallas and have chosen the best surgeon in the Southwest, but I am thinking of changing because his office is quite far away. So now I'm looking for the 2nd best surgeon. I'm a member of at least 5 groups to get a balanced view. They range from gastric bypass to lap-band to hard core fanatics who hate the surgeries and have had horrible experiences. I have a lot of links and information for anyone who wants it.

I would love to hear from anyone who can relate to me.
Stephanie G.
on 10/15/11 8:24 am - Rowlett, TX
You need to go with your gut.  Whichever surgery feels right for you and which Dr you trust.  You will have frequent visits before surgery but not so much afterward so I wouldn't let distance decide for me.  Personally I had a lapband and would never do it again.  I vomited daily for 2 years and nearly ruined my esophagus.  BUT, that is MY experience, not necessarily yours.  Also I'm sure your research shows that lapbands were originally designed for people who had about 60 lbs to lose-so not knowing your BMI, I can't tell you which surgery you should go with.  That decision is between you and your doctor. 

I LOVE my bypass and found it very easy to lose the weight-maintaining is HARD WORK however.  No surgery is going to be the golden ticket to a "skinny healthy you"-pick one you can comply with on every level.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

kyutzy
on 10/19/11 7:48 am - Arlington, TX
 I used Dr Provost.  You can't do better than him.  I drive from Arlington to his office and don't mind it because I know that I am in good hands.  I was 57 when I had Rny sugery.  I lost 160 lbs.  I had a few problems but can't blame all of them on surgery.  I feel great now.  I follow all of his "rules".  His office staff is great too.
Good luck with deciding who and what to go with.
SassySenior
on 10/19/11 2:48 pm - DALLAS, TX
Thanks a lot for writing and letting me know. You look fabulous! I'm sure you feel great now, having dropped all that weight. He's the only dr. I would ever consider for the RNY, but I'm still afraid of the surgery. I am a high risk patient: my age, very high BMI, previous heart attack. It would undoubtedly be the best thing with the greatest chance for weight loss, but I'm still against it for me.  The trip wouldn't be bad if it were only occasional, but with a band it will be frequent, and at the moment I'm too big to fit behind the wheel of my car.

I have total confidence in his ability to perform the best surgery and produce the best results. I'm convinced I wouldn't have any trouble with the band if he put it in. But I haven't made arrangements for someone to drive me. I live alone and my best friend lives 20 miles away. Also, I have not had good experience with his staff, very unsupportive, and his PA seems overbearing. Your experience? What are his "rules?"
kyutzy
on 10/20/11 9:30 am - Arlington, TX
 I'm sorry about your experience with his his staff.  Chrystine is usually the one I see the most.  Sometimes I request a visit when Dr. Provost can see me.  After all, I paid him to do the surgery!  I love Jan.  Still questionable about his nutristionist.  She is fairly new.
I understand your concern.  
I have a fistula and am dreading futher surgery.  It's a wait and see situation.
Friend me and we can talk more if you want, especially if you go to Provost.
kyutzy
on 10/20/11 9:37 am - Arlington, TX
 Forgot to add his "rules".  Mostly the same as other WLS.  
*No drinking for 30 min after eating.  At the beginning it was 30 before and 60 minutes after the meal.
*He doesn't want us to "drink" our protein.  Prefers us to eat solid protein.  Of course this wasn't in the beginning and if you are having additional surgeries, he wants us to load up on protein and the only way to work it is is shakes.
* No snacks - 3 meals a day.  Sometimes I sneak one in.
*I have found he never tells me how many calories to eat daily.  Limited "white" carbs.  Omit sugar.  
I am diabetic so am used to not eating sugar except in fruit, dairy, etc.

Those are the biggies I remember.

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 28 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 105 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 414 views