Seeking help...

Carrie C.
on 3/5/12 7:05 am - Victoria, TX
I'm 3 years out and have gained back 50 pounds! I have tried weigh****chers ... no luck; HCG drops ... never lost a pound; meal replacement w/protein shakes... no luck either. I'm in desparate need of your support and help. I can't get my eating habit under control once again after faiing at everything I try, and feel so yucky!

Can someone tell me once again what the basic eating 101 is that we are supposed to follow? And do you have any advice or suggestions for me???

Getting older, having Fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis doesnt help either!

Thank you,
Carrie

frenchgrapes
on 3/5/12 8:52 pm - TX
Some of the others should chime in soon. I'm still a newbie in the losing stage.

Right now, basic eating for me is - a minimum of 60 grams protein per day, 64 ozs. of water per day minimum, keep carbs under 40, keep sugars around 20. I also keep my calories way down - eating within the above parameters keeps the calories down. Also, keep cholesterol and sodium low. Tracking what you eat is key - identifies what is wrecking the plan. Walk half an hour a day, every day; working up to 1.5 hours of exercise every day. I know that sounds pretty simple but in theory is a juggling act.

What are you currently doing to change your diet and exercise?
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
Vivian Prouty
on 3/5/12 9:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Carrie,

Getting back on track is NOT a easy task.    Hopefully Gina will chime in here later on today and let you know what she did to lose her unwanted weight at 8 or 9 yrs. post op RNY.    I myself am still a work in progress.....I am still trying to get a regain off too.    It CAN be done so please don't give up.   Try the 5 day pouch test ( 5daypouchtest.com ).   That can help to give you a start in getting rid of the carbs and bad things in your diet.   My suggestion is go back to the  beginning.   Get rid of anything in your house that YOU shouldn't have.   If you buy something for other members of your family that YOU shouldn't have.....have them hide them or put them in their bedroom ( that's what I do ).   Remove ALL tempting foods from your sight.   Go back to measuring your foods ( no more than 1/2 cup ) and log your food in a food diary such as fitday.com.    You also know that you have to move your body...exercise or walk or both for that matter.   I think we ALL know what we should do.   Also remember no drinking sodas, or alcohol and no drinking 30 minutes before or after meals.  Please come back here and let us know how you are doing.   Trust me we do care about your success !!!! Thanks for coming to us for help.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Laura in Texas
on 3/5/12 11:51 pm
Please do not think of yourself as a "failure". Gaining weight does not define you. Learn to forgive yourself and realize you are worth the effort. Believe in yourself. You can do this!!

Track your food on a site like myfitnesspal. My username there is Laura8603, if you want to add me there. I'm also 3 years out.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Stephanie G.
on 3/6/12 9:59 pm - Rowlett, TX
Carrie first off kudos to you for recognizing you have a problem and seeking help.  It's not too late to nip the regain in the bud.  You are correct when you say "Back to Basics" cuz that is the key.  Most people regain when they return to their previous habits of eating junk and slider foods.  Remember SOLID protein is the key.  I run a private OH message board for people just like yourself that either have experienced some regain or who are struggling to maintain.  We have about 25 members. If this is something you thing you'd like to be a part of, let me know and I'll send you an invite. 

But in the meantime, here's some suggestions

1.  PLAN your meals.  Don't let anything happen by chance
2.  Rid your house, car, workplace, etc of junk food.
3.  Stock up on solid protein
4.  Return to using small plates
5.  Put what you think you want on your plate and then remove 1/2 of it.  Eat the first half and if 20 min later, you still want the other half, then and only then go eat it. 
6.  Push the fluids-yes, that dreaded 64+ oz of water everyday.  A lot of time thirst is perceived as hunger.
7.  Exercise-Yikes, this word is even worse than "water', lol.  Everyone can do some sort of exercise, if it's only doing arm exercises while sitting in a chair, or marching in place, or walking around your backyard...just get moving.
8.  Portion your plate so it's 1/2 protein, 1/4 veggies, 1/4 carbs. 
9.  LOG your food.  Write down every single bite you eat and you'll be amazed how quickly those nibbles add up to hundreds of extra calories. 
10.  Forgive yourself and move on...pick yourself up, dust off and get back on that horse. 

Hope this helps a little.  I rarely come to the TMB anymore because there's so little support and actual WLS advise/discussion here anymore but I'm glad I did today.  Let me know if you're interested in joining our group.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 118 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views