New to site, Texan

rnin2011
on 11/2/13 12:43 pm

Greetings,

I am a life long DFW resident, though I currently reside in Eagle Pass for the purpose of starting my R.N. career, and I am in need of advice.  I had a Roux en Y gastric bypass in 2005 in Dallas by Dr. Davidson.  I lost from 275 pounds down to 130 pounds at my lowest.  Unfortunately I have regained and now weigh 203.  I am researching revisions and surgeons and am undecided as to whether I should go an endoscopic route for resizing of the stoma and pouch.  Or should I look into Duodenal Switch.  Also need recommendations on surgeons. Thanks for any help!

Gratefully, rnin2011

Don 1962
on 11/3/13 3:09 am

Outside looking in but I would ask first could you get back to basics and get the regain off and save having another procedure done as a last resort? 

Congrats on your life as an RN.  My wife is one working in a juvenile justice center till at least the end of the year when it is scheduled to be closed barring some intervention from Austin.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

rnin2011
on 11/3/13 3:52 am

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, I was just discussing it with my boyfriend about getting back to basics.  I will try it first to see if I start losing weight.  I would have to do this anyway if I did have a revision done, so need to start back to basics to see what I can get done.  Maybe I will give it until March, when I will be relocating back to DFW, and if I have not made any progress I will go to a consultation at that time.  I just remember how much energy I had after the surgery and how great I felt.  I sweat throughout my nursing shift because I am running around for 12 hours and when I get home I am absolutely drained.  I think it would help to get this weight off.  But I don't know if getting back on track will take off the at least 50 I need to lose.  I will be positive and hope for success.  Thanks so much for your reply!

Vivian Prouty
on 11/3/13 4:22 am - Fort Worth, TX

I personally would go to a bariatric surgeon and get a florascope done to see if your pouch is still small or if it has stretched out.    Then I would go from there.    As far as the DS goes.....BE CAREFUL !!!   By that I mean it is a very difficult surgery to be done and some bariatric surgeon's don't know what they are doing and have just about killed patients doing it.    I personally think I would opt to get my RNY re-done.....I think that would be much safer if it is stretched out but that is just MY opinion.    If your stomach isn't stretched out....discipline and hard work exercising along with a good eating program will help you to get the re-gain off.    I need to work on that myself.    Good luck to you and please don't be a stranger to this message board.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

rnin2011
on 11/3/13 5:13 am

Thank you for replying!  I think I will get it looked at to see if it is stretched.   I inquired at UTMIST, in Houston.  There they do endoscopic resizing of the stoma and pouch.  From some research studies I have accessed, the stoma is usually what gets stretched out and allows food to go right through, thereby allowing one to consume more and not feel full.  The studies stated that in a few the actual pouch may stretch but that it is usually the stoma stretching.  At UTMIST they can go in endoscopically and stitch the stoma tighter and the pouch too.   I would be very willing to do that along with getting back on  track.  To be honest I drink Dr.Pepper and I consume pretzels like you wouldn't believe.  I dont really like sweets like cake and candy, but the Dr.Pepper has got to go now!  And I have to completely stop the pretzels.  I have pre cooked chicken strips to eat and low fat string cheese that I am eating now.  I have completely stopped pretzels, but I am having the hardest time with the Dr.Pepper.  I have stopped drinking it during my nursing shift, but when I get home I have some.  So I cannot have it anymore.  If I do have my pouch redone, Dr.Pepper will be the death of me yet.-Thanks so much for your input!

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 43 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 118 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 427 views