Don't worry about protien??

wantabeskinny2011
on 4/11/11 10:54 am
I'm 4 weeks out today and I'm really trying to get in 60 grams of protein. When I spoke to my nutritionist 2 weeks ago she told me not to worry about how much protein I get in.  I had a revision and I do know when I had the lap-band I was told to eat 60grams per day. I know I need to trust that my nutritionist knows what she's talking about, but it's hard because what she says goes completely against what almost every other Dr. & nutritionist I ever spoke with recommends. I not sure what to do. She say NO protein shakes, low carb only, no veggies, low fat only eat 3 meals a day with NO snacking. I can't only eat maybe 1oz at a time of solid protein. With that being said if I'm only eating 3 times a day that would be 3oz of meat & only 10 to 12 grams of protein. What should I do? I need to know what some of you guys are going at 4 weeks and beyond. Thanks so much for your support.
Tawni F.
on 4/11/11 11:05 am - TX
 I would talk to another nutritionist maybe one that specializes in bariatric surgery.....  That sounds crazy dangerous to me.  I have always been told protien protien protien, water water water!!  I am only 6 days post op but all my classes are fresh in my mind and as I sit here and look in my book as I am typing this I see where my nutritionist wrote 50-60 gms of protien a day..... Good luck I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

bigcurvy
on 4/11/11 11:10 am - Berwick, LA
I havent ha my surgery yet but through all the research ive done and talking to my nut and dr its always PRO first so this is new to me.. i think a second opinion should be explored
sleeve genie
on 4/11/11 11:34 am - Alhambra, CA
In a perfect world you should be able to depend on people knowing what they are talking about.  Sadly we don't live in a perfect world and i think you nut is nuts.   We are all told protein first, so important.   I would say don't listen to her.  Here are some links from the bigger bariatric centers and what they recommend.   Its your body and you need to do what you know the experts in this field advise.   Most will tell you to eat 4 or 5 times a day if all you can get down is 1 oz that will make you stall for sure,  Your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose.    Good luck  :o) Jeani

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged42006feb.pdf
http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/pdf/sleeve-gastrectomy-diet.pdf
http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

wantabeskinny2011
on 4/11/11 11:45 am
Thank you so much for the info sleeve genie. I do know what others are recommending and I'm am following it as close as possible. I have read so many post and anytime someone ask another vsg'er what they are eating, they always get the answer " you need to consult with your nut". Well I agree with you my nut is NUTS! lol Thanks again for the links.
MediumSoon
on 4/12/11 12:04 pm - TX
Remember also, that things change week to week - in terms of what you can do/eat and what is expected/required. Give her another call if you're not sure.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views