how soon to go back to work

sonyagettinghealthy
on 4/21/11 8:57 am - CA
My VSG is scheduled for Mon 4/25 and I am hoping to return to work 1 week later on the following Mon. I am a counselor so I spend most of my day behind a desk listening to people, then about 3 hours running group therapy but again I'm sitting for that as well. My job requires me to be attentive & compassionate. When you guys were a week post op did anyone go back to work at a non-physical job and if so how was it for you?
kimberly_gr
on 4/21/11 9:39 am
I see people post who were able to resume work in a blink of the eye, but for me it wasn't so easy.  I also have a desk job and tried to just take 1 1/2 weeks off from work.  I just couldn't go back at that point so I ended up taking 2 weeks off.  My first 2 days back to work, I had to leave early.

Really the pain was not an obsticle, but I was sooooooo tired.  I really had the mindset that I could power through and return to work when I planned, but the reality told me otherwise.

I really encourage you to have a plan B if you cannot return to work after 1 week.  Your clients don't need you nodding off.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

MN_Mama
on 4/21/11 9:51 am
I suspect it depends on many things.   I was on the starvation (liquids) diet for 3 weeks before my surgery, and found it difficult to concentrate and perform my thinking at my desk job then.  
Having the option of 3 to 4 weeks off for laproscopic surgery, I opted for 4 so I would be starting at least soft foods.   It still took another 2 weeks to feel up to my A game at work. 
I am also over 50 years old, weighed over 400 lbs, and have had mobility issues for years, so my energy levels and recovery rate would be nowhere near what a 30 year old, 250 lb, ex-cheerleader would have.
What ever you plan for, let your body dictate what you actually do.   Give yourself an out if you need it.  I'm sure you know this better than I, but you gotta care for yourself before you can help others. 
Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a fast recovery.

MediumSoon
on 4/21/11 11:00 am - TX
I took a week (kinder teacher). I was definitely tired the first couple of weeks, but I was fine otherwise.

sunny10
on 4/21/11 11:18 am

I also have a desk job.  I returned to work after 3 weeks.  I had no energy until the 3rd week.  I guess each person recuperates differently. 

Sunny10    
Lisa D.
on 4/21/11 11:20 am - New Orleans, LA
I am 50 and went back after 1 week to a restaurant/catering job.  No problems at all.  I found it takes your mind off clear liquids real quickly!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

sleeve genie
on 4/21/11 12:00 pm - Alhambra, CA
I have an office job and went back after 2 weeks,  i could have gone back after one but since i got approved for two i decided to take it to try to get used to the new eating and stuff.  I was very tired the first month but it wasn't that bad,  went home everyday and took a nap Lol   :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Kristy R.
on 4/21/11 1:46 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 I went back after one week, I have a desk job.  Aside from some minor abdominal strain from supporting myself in my chair all day that first day, I was fine.  Energy is fine.  Control top panty hose helps :)
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 10:57 pm
In was sleeved on a Tuesday adn went back to work the following Wed. I have a desk job. I was tired but OK.
doggz109
on 4/21/11 11:12 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
You should be fine with 1 week off....maybe a bit tired by the end of the day but hey...who isnt? :)

I have a very active job and plan on taking 6 weeks or whatever my surgeon recommends so I don't get a hernia or screw something up.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views