Had the sleeve 6 days ago, why am I hungry and why can I still eat????

jennay80
on 9/17/11 11:43 am - Elmore, OH
 Okay, so I am 6 days out from having the sleeve and I feel hunger, especially when I smell dinner cooking for the family.  I have heard so many times that people who get the sleeve will vomit if they get too much or eat too fast.  Yesterday I ate 2 bites of a banana and never got sick, and today I am dying to eat solids and had 4 small bites of a piece of grilled chicken and it never hurt me.  It is almost as if he didn't cut my stomach off.  PLEASE help me, tell me if this is normal.  I know I am not supposed to eat grilled chicken but I felt the need to eat it.  Can't explain it.  Also, why does cold or even room temp water/crystal lite feel weird when going down and when I feel it go into my belly it is just weird, not painful though.  I really have NO pain, NO acid reflux, and satisified after eating a yogurt, no hunger.  I am like dying while everyone else is eating, I think I am having a major withdrawl from food and this is so hard...:(

Thanks,
worried me

Smardeepants
on 9/17/11 12:17 pm, edited 9/17/11 12:17 pm
OK, first of all... you should absolutely NOT be eating chicken at 6 days post-op. You need to eat what's on your surgeon's plan, and NOTHING else. You are still at risk for leaks (think ICU, sepsis, possible feeding tube for MONTHS). A few bites of chicken isn't worth it.

As far as not "feeling anything"... this is because nerves, etc are severed/cut when your stomach was removed. You have a temporary loss of sensation... it's NOT because it's OK to eat right now.

As far as "hunger", cravings, head hunger, etc... MANY (if not most!) struggle with the desire to eat/withdrawal from food early on. This is normal, it will pass. Drink your protein, get plenty of water, and STICK TO YOUR PLAN.  I never had nausea/vomited at the sight of food... I wanted it desperately, and wanted to cry/die when the rest of my family was eating and I was choking down a protein drink. Focus on what your body NEEDS, and fight through it.

As far as not having reflux, for many the over-production of acid causes that "hungry" feeling that's hard to deal with early on. I know for me, adding a 2nd dose cut my hunger down from a constant gnawing feeling, to an occasional/manageable one. If you aren't on a PPI (like prilosec) talk to your Dr. about adding one.

Hang in there, stick to your plan, and remember the reasons you did this. You'll get through this.

jennay80
on 9/17/11 12:20 pm - Elmore, OH
 Yes, no more bites of chicken, even though it felt fine...  :(  Everyone else talks about barely keeping liquids down, dont understand why it is so easy for me?  And I dont even feel sick at all?

Suane
on 9/17/11 12:26 pm - Livingston County, MI
I never felt sick when I ate. I never vomited and it's been almost 10 months for me. There are a lot of people like us. Many who post here are looking for some help with the sickness.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

wert
on 9/17/11 7:41 pm, edited 9/17/11 7:44 pm - MN
When you say everyone else talks about barely keeping liquids down I think you're mis-remembering what you've read. Everyone doesn't have that problem but many many have a hard time, at first, getting liquids down, not keeping them down. Why are you expecting to feel sick? Where does that come from? Until you get with the program and stop testing the limits of your sleeve you're one of those who could fail. Remember, it's 10% sleeve and 90% you. You're not doing your part. Get with it.

Like a lot of us, I felt great from the beginning. It took a while to be able to get the liquids down but I felt good and it only got better.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Smardeepants
on 9/18/11 2:09 am
I had no trouble getting/keeping liquids down. I could easily drink 2X what they wanted me to. (Even now, I easily drink 100+ oz per day, and am not yet 3mos out).

For many it's easy... people post often that they can practically guzzle water, mushies go right through them, lots of hunger... this is all normal. You will feel the restriction/tightnesss- you'll FEEL your sleeve when you start on solids. But please, please give it time to heal. (Part of why you aren't feeling right now is because of the changes/way that the nerves were cut).

I was eating fish, tuna, eggs, cheeses, cottage cheese, mushy foods, etc around 1 week. Some surgeons say 2 weeks or longer (it will depend on their plan, and what they have found reduces risks with the way they do their surgery. Which is why I think all plans are so different). Anyway, it will get MUCH easier once you move to mushies (better food, more choices, etc). Then, it's only a couple of weeks until you're moving onto solids (like chicken). :)

Try to go day-by-day and just focus on what you CAN have for now, and make it as yummy as possible. I roasted a chicken for my family a few days post-op, and poured the stock into a cup for me. I skimmed the fat and had the BEST broth ever!

Hang in there... it WILL get easier, I promise! 

LeahBea
on 9/17/11 12:18 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Don't know what your doctors plan is, but most tell you only liquids for the first 1-3 weeks.

Take this as you will... But My recommendation would be to stop eating ANYTHING. I know you're hungry, I know the food smells awesome, but do yourself the favor and don't eat any of it. You risk tearing your new stomach, causing a leak or any number if awful things I would hate to have happen to you.

Like I said, I completely understand the hunger, I was famished the first week after surgery and much like you did not have much pain. We are the lucky ones lovey, so be thankful. Just sip your liquids, I know it doesn't do a lot for the hunger but it does help.

Best of luck.

Leah

Suane
on 9/17/11 12:20 pm - Livingston County, MI
Why did you bother having surgery if you don't plan on following the rules? Right now your staple line is healing and eating chicken may not seem like it bothers you, but how do you know what is going on inside your sleeve?

Continue to ignore the doctors recommendations and you will end up back in the hospital. You 'think' you are hungry, so try drinking water and see if that helps. Usually you are just thirsty.

I want you to succeed with your surgery, so pay very close attention to these first few weeks of healing and learning how to eat. It takes some practice but you can do this. Stop screwing around and follow the rules.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

jennay80
on 9/17/11 12:24 pm - Elmore, OH
 The 2 week liquid diet before surgery was fine, never cheated.  Don't know why it is harder for me now, thought it's be easier.  I don't understand why my brain is dying for food, guess starting my period the day after surgery didn't help at all.  I guess I didn't know the hicken could hurt my belly, glad I am scared now.  

acbbrown
on 9/17/11 12:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA
You are right to be worried!! Im very troubled that you are eating bananas and chicken less than a week out of surgery. You could seriously cause MAJOR damage to your stomach. Google some images of the VSG so you can see exactly what happens during surgery - and imagine all the swelling. 

I don't mean to be blunt but I don't think that you were ready to have this surgery. You need to get on a PPI immediately if you are not on one and you need to seek out counseling/therapy ASAP to deal with the food addictions if you want to have any chance at succes here.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views