Am I allowed to do this???

Avererage
on 4/1/12 7:15 am - Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
Before my surgery I was a huge diet 7-up drinker.  I never liked water.  Since my surgery I have been doing my best to get all my liquid in but it has bees a struggle.  I cannot drink Crystal Light (heart burn) and I don't care for the other sugar free drinks (Koolaid, Ocean Spray).   So I came up with this idea......  I pour a cold can of diet 7-up in the blender and whip it up for several minutes until the carbonation is all gone.  Then I pour it back in the can and drink it like it was a real diet 7-up.  It has made me very happy.  I will continue doing my best to get in as much water as possible.  Do you think this Is this allowed? 
acbbrown
on 4/1/12 7:29 am - Granada Hills, CA
 If you want to know if its "allowed" - you need to ask whoever is giving you your post op plan. We aren't really permission-givers here. 

If you ask me, I think it's a poor decision and not very effecient at the end of the day. You are going to do that for 64+ oz?

One thing - diet soda is a bunch of chemicals. No calories, but still not the greatest for your healing body. You have a long life ahead of you to rely on diet 7 up to meet your fluids. I think if you try hard enough and experiment enough, you'll certainly be able to find another alternative. 

I cannot stand plain water, and rarely drink it, so here are some other ideas to consider

For immediately post op
- SF jello
-popsicles
- broth

Other drinks 
- coffee (preferably decaf)
- tea (again, try and go for decaf)
- propel
- powerade zero, low cal gatorade
- iced tea
- vitamin water and all those sorts of things they have
- mio (thisis a good one for me - can control how much flavor and it's not super sweet tasing like crystal light)

Please consider the life style changes we have to make and stay away from the diet sodas. Its more than a carbonation issue.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/1/12 7:36 am, edited 3/31/12 7:37 pm - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Well before reading acbbrown's post and second guessing what I initially thought, I was thinking it was a great alternative. I don't think it's a HORRIBLE choice and I think it's better than getting NO fluids. I say whatever works for you is what you need to do. I'd definitely call the surgeon's office or the nutritionist and see if they think it's okay. It seemed pretty harmless to me when I first read your post.

Adding...he/she is the pro with a 200 pound weight loss. I'm just a newbie. :)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

acbbrown
on 4/1/12 7:41 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Im not a pro honestly - but Ive had to learn the hard way and really focus on what ive put in my body. I spent enough years abusing my body that I'm trying to do it differently now and i would hope that is the point of everyone having WLS. I'm not just going to post "sure, sure go ahead" just to make someone feel better. I'm just trying to get people to THINK about what they are doing.

I dont think diet 7 up would be the worst thing ever (certaintly better than many other things) but if all you drink is diet 7 up - I know no doctor is going to say that's good for your body. I'm definitely not a scientist but I do know that your body has to filter out the water it needs from the chemicals that are attached in the soda - so you are putting extra stress on your body when it's already going through massive weight loss. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Mike B.
on 4/1/12 7:44 am
I agree with acbbrown. You need to stay away from the diet sodas, NOT A GOOD CHOICE TO MAKE.Please try some of the suggestions given, I'm sure there is something better than soda you can handle drinking. Good luck.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

chiefsgirl3
on 4/1/12 7:55 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 Just remember that the chemicals in the soda CAN dehydrate. 

Avererage
on 4/1/12 8:10 am - Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
Thanks for posting.  Yea... my sister would just freak if she knew I posted this.  She is totally against the artificial sweetners and chemical stuff.  I guess I am just desperate to find a way to get the fluids in.  I will try some of the suggestions however I will have to dig because I have never heard of some of these things here in Canada. (Mia)  Just so for the record, I did not plan on drinking only diet 7-up.  But I did think maybe once a day or so which was not exactly great either, I know...... 
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/1/12 8:25 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Average, I'm basically where you are right now. I'm having a hell of a time getting in the required fluids and protein (mainly because I DETEST them both) but I'm working towards that goal. I've been trying various flavors of Snapple, Crystal Light, Wal-Mart brand sugar free drink packets, adding various things to water and nothing is appealing to me AT ALL. I, too, have a hard time with heartburn with those drinks but since my doctor told me to buy over-the-counter omeprazole, that situation is better and I'm able to drink the drinks a little better. I still don't LIKE them but I'm forcing myself to drink them. For the past few years before my surgery, I drank nothing BUT Coke. I don't mean diet Coke, either.

I also had talked myself out of drinking protein drinks but have decided today that I MUST drink them so my goal for tomorrow (and each day following) is to drink my protein and go from there. No one told us it would be this hard, did they?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

Jennifer S.
on 4/1/12 8:40 am
I would suggest mixing water with some freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice...and a packet of sweet n low, splenda, etc.  I've had to drink tonic water at night (per MD recommendations) for some muscle cramping and that is the ONLY way I can drink it.  I actually told my hubby that it reminded me of Sprite or 7 Up.

Jennifer

Ms Shell
on 4/1/12 10:30 am - Hawthorne, CA
There comes a point in our jouneys where we have to really LOOK at our old behaviors which to ME were a part of our obesity ridden lives and make NEW behaviors to exhibit when we ultimately WANT out of life.

Water is hard, can you add things to water to make it better?  Lemons, Limes, Oranges, Vanilla Bean, Cinnamon Sticks?  How about 1/2 a 7/up PER 1/2 gallon of water?

Good luck in figuring it all out.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views