Sleeve and Pop

C. Harvey
on 4/29/12 11:10 pm
VSG on 01/11/12
I never asked questions, all I ever did was implant into my brain that after VSG I could never have pop again! lol It hasn't been bad...I did have a virus and drank a little Sprite Zero to help with dehydration (per my NUT) But haven't had any since. Anyways...a coworker asked me this morning "Why no pop?" I told her I really wasn't sure, I'd have to read my book given to me by the surgeons office. I told her I was thinking maybe because of ulcers, things like that. Well I called my husband and he looked over the book for me and called me back here at work. He said in the book that it says carbonated beverages tend to make us think we are hungry and they make us want to snack more. Me though...I'm never hungry. So If some sleeve patients are never hungry then I wonder why it would hurt them to have it? I've just been sitting here thinking about it lol, thought I'd let some vet sleevers give their opinions. Me, I'm fine without it...sometimes water, milk, or juice gets a bit boring, but I have went this long without a cold Mt. Dew...why start now...right? lol Just wondering what anyone else has heard on the whole subject.

IslandMomma
on 4/29/12 11:22 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
 I was told by my surgon that the bubbles in drink like that will stretch out the sleeve.(stomach) ...esp. in the first 6-9 months...anyway that is what I was told...

Good luck and congrats on your work so far...
LunaChic
on 4/29/12 11:23 pm - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 I was told by my doc that the carbonation creates gas in the stomach and can inflate it.  It will most likely cause discomfort, and early out can risk causing a leak with all the gas. If you think about it, "pop" isn't exactly a healthy choice anyway...  :)

And as a side note, I read the title "sleeve and pop" and thought of a busting sleeve.  LOL.  I lived in Ohio for a good portion of my early life, and am now in Jersey for over 10 years.  We call it soda, but it was a blast from the last to hear pop.   LOL

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

loverofcats
on 4/29/12 11:30 pm
Aside from the other ideas, no nutritional value whatsoever. I can't tolerate anything carbonated. I tried carbonated water, but it tasted horrible. Maybe, just let the pop go?
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

acbbrown
on 4/29/12 11:43 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Im not even sure if I should laugh or cry when I read that surgeons are telling people that carbonation will stretch out a stomach. It's on the top of ridiculous things ive heard. 

It's not good for you. End of story. There is absolutely no nutritional value, it's full of chemicals, and some of those chemicals can influence your body's normal hunger signals, and what now. Surgeon's will apparently tell you whatever they need to in order to get you to stay away (which, ok, fine, whatever works) beause if they tell their patients "it's not good for you" - that's usually not enough. 

Ironically, people will stay away from soda because it might stretch their stomach, but then go stuff their face with pizza and burgers....

I havent had any soda since surgery. I dont really need it, i know it's not good for me, and i'm going to stay away from it as long as I can. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

C. Harvey
on 4/29/12 11:46 pm
VSG on 01/11/12
The lady who works with me was asking because she is inquiring the surgery but doesn't think she wants to give up her pop! lol...I explained to her that it isn't too bad! I know when my NUT told me to drink Sprite Zero when I had that stomach bug I could feel every little bubble...it wasn't pleasant, but it didn't hurt either. My sister had the band in 2010 and she drinks pop that has lost it's carbonation lol...she will let it set for days...and I'm like "what's the use in drinking flat pop? If I'm gonna drink it I'm gonna want to taste it!" haha...but to each their own I supposed...and she only had the band, so her's is a bit different. But thanks for the info, I'll let the lady know. Like I said when I imprinted it in my head to let it go...I let it go...and it's gone and is not coming back! haha

Dawnie 88
on 4/30/12 12:07 am

I'm a little over 2 years postop and have been drinking regular Pepsi since 8 mths postop. Good choice..NO..but my choice none the less.  I have never had hunger (yet) and my sleeve certainly hasn't stretched.  I still eat only 2 - 2.5oz dense protein and i am full and satisfied.

My suggestion to anyone is to not pick up the habit again..if you've made it so far without it..don't start!

pcannedy
on 4/30/12 12:09 am - Sacramento, CA
I drink soda sometimes, it fills me up between meals.  I am 19 mos post op.  I heard it would stretch my stomach out, but have not seen that.  I can only eat 4 oz of dense protein.  So, it has not caused a problem.  However, I did not drink any soda till after I was 5 months post op.

smbergie200
on 4/30/12 12:15 am - Naples, FL
Pop - Soda - Bubbly High Fructose Corn Syrup - or "diet" Bubbly artificial Sweetner poison beverage are ALL poor choices for a beverage. 99 Percent of the time the only drink that should pass your lips should be water. On ocassion enjoy a soda and don't worry about it but don't make it a habit.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

SuzanneR
on 4/30/12 1:12 am - Randolph, NJ
LunaChick I thought the same thing! I am in NJ too.
I hate diet sodas so haven't had them in years but used to enjoy a real Coke now and then and especially with rum lol...but haven't had any either sinced getting sleeved. I stick to water and have a diet snapple now and then. My doc told me carbonation would be a mistake for comfort and quality of my sleeve.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views