5 yrs post-op today (loooonnnngggg)

.: Rana :.
on 5/8/12 2:20 pm - Near Grass Valley, CA
Hard to believe that 5 yrs ago today I was in the hospital, worried about what I had just done to my body.  I remember it being VERY difficult at first-- I had MAJOR buyer's remorse.  But guess what?  It's not like you can undo having the majority of your stomach removed, so I learned to accept it.  And it didn't take long until I was very glad that I had made the decision to have VSG.

So here's the stats:
STARTING WEIGHT: 231
HEIGHT: 5'3"
STARTING BMI: 39.6

LOWEST WEIGHT: 117;
HEIGHT: 5'4"
BMI: 20.0.

CURRENT WEIGHT: 148
HEIGHT: 5'3" (yes, I've lost about 1/2 inch again)
CURRENT BMI: 26.2

I was one of the folks who had a rather easy time losing weight.  I was VERY compliant with Dr. Cirangle's diet.  I didn't adhere to it perfectly, but I tried very hard to come as close as possible and IT WORKED.  I made my goal of 140 lbs in 9 months and hit my low weight after a little over a year.  In fact, I had a hard time stopping the loss.  It took a bit of trial and error to figure out what worked best to stabilize my weight.

My weight was stable for quite a while.  But then after about 2 yrs, I started gaining more than I would have liked to and it keeps creeping upward.  This is due to too much sugar in my diet and not enough exercise.  In fact, I had stopped exercising for a couple of years until recently when my back started acting up again.  I've found that Pilates classes are cheaper than the co-pay for Physical Therapy.

I still eat MUCH healthier than I did pre-op.  This whole experience has taught me that I NEVER could have lost this much weight without surgery, and I certainly never would have kept this much of the weight off for this long.

I can eat much more than I could that first year, of course, but my tiny tummy still keeps me from overeating as much as I normally would have.  BTW, overeating was/is my problem and the reason I was obese in the first place.

So here's my advise after years of dealing with VSG (keep in mind that I spent many months researching WLS prior to VSG and that I was VERY active on these boards for the first few years)....

MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR FIRST 6 - 12 MONTHS!!!!  It is easiest to loose weight right after surgery while the stomach is still swollen and so tiny.  Use that to your advantage!

Don't think of this as a diet, think of it as food choices and lifestyle changes.  I am not on a diet, but I do need to make wise food choices.  I still try to limit my carbs to some extent and try to make sure that I get enough protein each day, along with trying to focus on fruits and veggies.

DRINK AT LEAST 48 - 64 OZ OF WATER EACH AND EVERY DAY!!!!  There is data to prove tha****er/hydration aids in weight loss.  I still track my water intake.  I still have days that I don't' feel like drinking that much, but I have discovered that if I don't get at least 48 oz, I get this horrible, horrible stomach ache.  And I don't drink any soda or alcohol-- it just isn't worth it.  Don't get me started on the whole soda thing-- I don't care about the carbonation, it still has NO redeeming qualities regardless of whether it is diet soda or not.  And High Fructose Corn Syrup is a hot button of mine.  I am of the mindset that it should be banned altogether.

GET ENOUGH SLEEP!  There are studies out there that support that lack of sleep can cause weight gain, and that getting plenty of sleep can aid weight loss.  I have noticed this in my own life as well.  When I don't get enough sleep I crave carbs/sugar the next day.  This happens because the body needs the energy.  But there is more to it than that-- you can research this for yourself if you'd like.

EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Many of us got to the weight we are due to lack of exercise, along with poor food choices.  Remember that exercise is not just about losing weight or keeping the weight off.  That is just a side benefit.  Exercise is about staying healthy and that is really what WLS is all about-- getting healthy.  Make a point of doing whatever you can to be active, but also make a point of actually exercising your body.  Trust me, I've seen the effects of exercise vs. non-exercise on my in-laws and parents.  My in-laws are about 10 yrs older than my parents but have stayed very active (even when my MIL went through 2 bouts with serious cancer).  My parents have never been the type to do much physical activity.  My in-laws are still much healthier at 80 than my parents are at 70-- they are much, much more mobile and have far fewer health concerns.

Well, that's all I've got for now.  Feel free to ask questions, but I can't promise that I'll respond promptly.  I have a very busy family life and don't have much time to get on OH.  Not to mention that there are only so many times you can read/answer questions about what to eat post-op or how much carbs and protein you should eat, etc.  I have to tell ya-- I know what to do to lose the weight, so I don't really have much tolerance for those posts about "I can't seem to lose any weight" only to find out that they go out drinking every night, etc. (yes, this is from an actual post years ago!).

Best wishes to you all!!!
Blessings,
~Rana

PS. I had blogged on my profile everything I went through pre-op and for the first couple of years post-op in case anyone is interested in reading about my jour
ey.  Feel free to read to your heart's content.

Jesus doesn't want me for a zombie, and He's given me free will so I can choose.  I've escaped this world's snare but I don't have to be square.  Oh yes, I have become a Christian but I still know how to groove!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juR8DoshsUk

Starting weight: 231; Goal weight: 140; Lowest weight: 117;
Current weight: 137 - 140

prevsgcrys
on 5/8/12 2:31 pm - OH

It is nice to read from another "vet" . I am almost 6 months out and have lost 74 pounds.. I love my sleeve!! I was wondering today..is it always gona be this easy? When I say easy I mean no cravings, no stress over thinking I may overeat, I am sooo surprised in myself that I can stick to my plan of low carb high protein and I can cook a huge dinner for my family with desert and just eat the protein part and be completely happy with that!!!

Lee ~
on 5/8/12 2:57 pm - CA
 Rana~. Big congratulations on 5 years!  It's great to see you back here.  Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a thoughtful and insightful post.  I remember reading your posts when I was researching the VSG in 2009.  I appreciate your honesty about what this journey takes in the long term.  It really is new game once the first two years are over.  I'm so grateful for this surgery and the opportunity to live life in a smaller body.  Please come back as often as you can to say hello.  Good luck as you head into your next five years!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

jimbovsg
on 5/8/12 3:17 pm
Congratulations Rana on your success.......it is nice to see someone  5 years out.  You are right.....this is just a "tool'  to help in our journey to a healthier "Life".  We must change our thinking and habits PERMANENTLY ...to be successful long term.  You are doing that!  Thanks for posting this update!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Jenijeni
on 5/8/12 3:24 pm
Congrats on FIVE years of getting healthy. I loved reading your post... thanks for being so honest! I'm looking forward to camping and doing stuff this summer that I haven't been able to do in YEARS. Loving my VSG!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

frisco
on 5/8/12 3:40 pm, edited 5/8/12 3:41 pm

Hey Rana !

5 Years.... Congrats !!!

That is my next goal and 2.5 more years seems so far away !!!!

I concur with your advice and hope it is digested by some of our newer members, many are not taking advantage of that first 6-12 months for maximum WL and developing the much needed lifestyle changes needed for long term success.

What!, Vodka and Tequila are not clear liquids ???

Please stop by more often here and at VSGM and try to make it to the Norcal Meet-Up on May 19th.

frisco

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4529072/NorCal-Meet-Up-May-19th-Reminder/#37513846

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mrsnate
on 5/8/12 4:11 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
It's really great hearing from a true vet.  I am only 10 days out and while I don't "regret" my decision, I sometimes wish I could just eat normally!  I have lost 29 pounds including my preop diet.  I'm feeling a big difference already. Thanks for the motivation and the reminder of my lifelong goal...health. 

~Rebecca
Mother to 4, married to a wonderful man, trying to find myself again.    
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/12 8:44 pm - dubai, United Arab Emirates
thanks for posting this really. im very happy you posted , i bet it helped many post oppers .
its very motivating .
Ms. Poker Face
on 5/8/12 11:08 pm
Wow, Rana, that is awesome! Congrats on your continued success and your words of wisdom!!!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

dejahsmom096
on 5/8/12 11:34 pm
Thanks for the wisdom. Congratulations on your on going success.
T.R       

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views