CONSUMER REPORT PROTEIN DRINKS

MONI0919
on 5/27/12 11:37 pm - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with

What's in your protein drink

Here are the average amounts of metals we found in three servings of these protein drinks. The maximum limits for them in dietary supplements proposed by the U.S. Pharmacopeia are: arsenic (inorganic), 15 micrograms (µg) per day; cadmium, 5 µg; lead, 10 µg; mercury, 15 µg. Amounts at or exceeding those limits are in bold. Experts said three servings a day is common.
found: Heavy metals

We purchased 15 protein powders and drinks mainly in the New York metro area or online and tested multiple samples of each for arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. The results showed a considerable range, but levels in three products were of particular concern because consuming three servings a day could result in daily exposure to arsenic, cadmium, or lead exceeding the limits proposed by USP.

We found that three daily servings of the ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake provides an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day, and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day. Concentrations in most products were relatively low, but when taking into account the large serving size suggested, the number of micrograms per day for a few of the products was high compared with most others tested.

The samples of Muscle Milk Chocolate powder we tested contained all four heavy metals, and levels of three metals in the product were among the highest of all in our tests. Average cadmium levels of 5.6 µg in three daily servings slightly exceeded the USP limit of 5 µg per day, and the average lead level of 13.5 µg also topped the USP limit of 10 µg per day. The average arsenic level of 12.2 µg was approaching the USP limit of 15 µg per day, and the average for mercury was 0.7 µg, well below the USP's 15 µg-per-day limit. Three daily servings of Muscle Milk Vanilla Crème contained 12.2 µg of lead, exceeding lead limits, and 11.2 µg of arsenic. A fourth product, Muscle Milk Nutritional Shake Chocolate (liquid), provided an average of 14.3 µg of arsenic per day from three servings, approaching the proposed USP limit.

Cadmium raises special concern because it accumulates in and can damage the kidneys, the same organs that can be damaged by excessive protein consumption. And it can take 20 years for the body to eliminate even half the cadmium absorbed today.

"This is a highly toxic metal, and while there are some cases where decisions have to be weighed against relative risks, accepting that you have to be exposed to any cadmium at all in your protein drink after your workout is definitely not one of them," says Michael Harbut, M.D., director of the Environmental Cancer Initiative at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Royal Oak, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/in dex.htm

amyl0528
on 5/27/12 11:47 pm
That's some scary information!  Thanks for posting.

VSG Surgery May 1, 2012
jennergirl
on 5/27/12 11:54 pm - OR
VSG on 05/30/12
This is concerning, but thank you for looking out for us and sharing the information.

louisamay
on 5/28/12 12:56 am
VSG on 04/27/12
For some reason it does not surprise me that the brand carried by WalMart and Sam's (EAS) is problematical.  I wonder if any of the ingredients are coming from China.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

happiegirl
on 5/28/12 1:05 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
This is very very sad.  It's ok for huge corporations to hurt people and get away with it.  What happens when an individual knowingly gives people poison? 

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

tillmadd
on 5/28/12 1:37 am - WI
 I am going to mention this is my NUT & doctor as I use some of these products scary!!!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

jessiegirl
on 5/28/12 2:43 am
VSG on 06/15/12
Wow!!!  Thanks for the valuable info! 

The first time I tried Muscle Milk, I told my 20-year-old daughter, "Yuck, that tastes like metal!!!!!  How can you drink that?"    

I'll be sure to tell her about this!   

MONI0919
on 5/28/12 3:11 am - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with

I don't know,  i know i need my proteins and that is why i was looking for the best one, Im concerning about my self,   i haven't had any proteing  , im eating and looking for proteing in the food, still feel tired, but with this info im scare to buy any brand now

peeches35
on 5/28/12 3:26 am
VSG on 04/03/12
sticking to my whey

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

diane S.
on 5/28/12 3:39 am
thanks so much for sharing this. important but scary information.  don't know what to do except avoid some brands and consider the organic protein powder products like those at our local food coop. i can't say they don't have metals as they are not tested but might be a better chance at avoiding bad stuff. worth the extra cost.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views