scared to eat?

carebear32958
on 9/25/12 9:10 am
VSG on 08/16/12
For the first time in my life I can say I am actually scared to eat.  I'm 5 weeks post op, almost 6 weeks, I am on 2nd stage foods and allowed to eat 1-3 times a day.  My problem is, that I literally have to force myself to eat a few ozs of protein 1-2 times a day.  I know this is all a mental thing and I have talked to the surgeon and nut about it last week, I was scared I was overly mal-nurishing myself and they said to just keep trying and do my best, keep my fluids up (which is fine btw, like 70-80 ozs a day) And I track all my food and drinks so I just find myself freaking out if my calorie count gets over like 400 cals...I know, I know, its probably becuase I am nuts.  My will power is currently made of steel, I bake gourmet cupcakes once a week for friends and social functions I attend and have not ate, licked or tasted anything assoc with these cupcakes, I guess my willpower is too strong...The jist of this giant blurb is....has anyone else had this problem?  I'm so scared to trust myself to not lose control and revert back to my old ways....I will cont to go to my monthly support meetings and therapy sessions but feedback from someone who has dealt with this helps..Thanks

acbbrown
on 9/25/12 9:32 am - Granada Hills, CA
I can't say that at your current stage this would be something to be concerned about - I think some fear is quite appropriate given what you have just done to your stomach - it scares me more to see people with no fear and are pushing the limits at this point.

It's always a good idea to consider therapy - ive learned a lot about eating disorders - and it could become an issue at some point but for now - I wouldn't stress too much about it. I was reallly scared to eat once i was cleared to start pureed and solids. I never tried more than one new food a day and usually only 2-3 new foods a week - i did not get adventerous or creative with my meals for months because I just wanted to eat the smallest portion and be done with it.

I'm 15 months out - and I still get irritated with myself that im so obsessed with tracking and numbers and blah blah blah but hey, it's better than avoiding it and gaining weight.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

carebear32958
on 9/25/12 10:10 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Thanks,
I just knew going into this my personality has always been geared more towards going overboard...when I overate, I really overate, when I work out, I really work out...I was just scared that I was gonna slowly give myself an eating disorder.  I'll continue to work with the therapist.  And I do the same, alot of ppl tell me they make all these recipes with ricotta and refried beans and I'm just like, yeah, no, I'm just gonna stick with my cottage cheese and sliced low sodium turkey...lol, I figure I can get creative down the line when I am more comfortable with the whole thing
rhino_lizards
on 9/25/12 9:34 am
VSG on 09/17/12
 I am scared ****less to eat.  Granted I am only 8 days out from my surgery.  My surgeon just gave me approval to eat soft foods.  He said I can eat anything as long it is super soft and I am careful.  I am scared to eat anything.  I had 3 bites of steamed broccoli tonight and was full.  It has been so long since I have know what it actually means to be full that I am not sure that is even what I am feeling.  I am scared to do something wrong.
carebear32958
on 9/25/12 10:14 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Congrats on your new sleeve! Its life changing....alot of the vets are big proponents of under eating your sleeve ( I believe thats what they call it) Basically stopping eating when you thing you are full and not waiting until you have the stuffed feeling.  Its really helpful to eat really slow! Seriously, I set my timer for 20 minutes and pace myself to eat slow.  Really by the time 20 mins is up, I still have about 1/4 of my food left and I feel satisfied, not full, but happy.  Good luck and keep working on it.  Try to focus on soft proteins, broccoli is only going to give you gas...lol :) 
Joeyb278
on 9/25/12 9:36 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12
Im about 6wks out too n I can relate. Ive been feeling scared to eat!! My surgeon put me on the soft food diet as of my 2wk check up. I've been able to eat scrambled eggs, some tuna, n refried beans, n some other stuff. I tried to keep track of calorie intake, protein, fat, etc. but it was just making me crazy so I stopped obsessing about it. I've just been trying to make sure that I keep up w/ my liquids n try to eat something every 2-3 hours. It's difficult most of the time but I keep trying. I had the same problem w/the protein intake so I make sure I drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day so that has helped me alot. I know I'm not as experienced as maybe u would like but I hope that knowing that ur not alone helps a little!! Keep fighting I'm rite there w/ u!!! Good luck n take care

My Journey has officially started!!! Joey B!!!  HW: 530lbs ~ SW: 428lbs ~ GW: 180lbs 

carebear32958
on 9/25/12 10:17 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Thanks JoeyB, Yes it helps to know that others have the same issues and I am not a neurotic mess...lol Wow, eating every 2-3 hours?  LOL....I'm morelike every 10 hrs lol....again, I'm obviously slightly nutty :/ I prefer to drink because there is no lag in time, when I eat, that takes away 1.5 hrs of my drinking time each time I eat.  So I am just finding it easier to drink now.  Good luck and thanks for the input :) 
Joeyb278
on 9/25/12 10:44 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12
Well the eating every 2-3hr is wat my nut recommended, but it is very hard cuz I'm really not having an appetite.. But I still try to get something in my sleeve.. Lol!! But again we gotta keep fighting!!

My Journey has officially started!!! Joey B!!!  HW: 530lbs ~ SW: 428lbs ~ GW: 180lbs 

TSinNC
on 9/25/12 9:45 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I'm sorry you are having trouble with this. I don't have any advice to offer, as I've been pretty lucky with protein tolerance so far. I'm sending you good vibes, though!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

carebear32958
on 9/25/12 10:19 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Hey Tina,
Thankfully so far I have been able to tolerate all the protein I try its just mentally hard to convince myself to eat the protein.  LOL, its such a battle trying to decide, should I or shouldn't I eat this?!? And I literally am attached to my notebook and my phone to track food and exercise.  Thanks for the positive thoughts, I appreciate them!
Most Active