Can Protein drinks cause constipation

pwrightt
on 2/24/07 11:10 pm - PHOENIX, AZ
OK first I know we HAVE to get in our protein. Currently I am drinking two shakes a day getting in at least 60 grams. But in a previous post I have stated I have severe constipation. There is nothing I have not tried. So my question is this. Till I find a relief can protein drinks constipate you? I just heard they can. I cannot give up my protein shakes but for about a week I may want to lay off them till I can see my doctor. One more question. Does anyone drink pure orange juice? That used to help my constipation before surgery but was wondering can we drink it now? Bye the way I am 9 weeks post op and just getting back on regular food. But not released yet to eat salads or raw vegetables. Thank you Pam
Cynthia ..
on 2/24/07 11:53 pm - MI
Yup it sure can, that's why most post-ops take a stool softener, or Dolculax type product. I wouldn't stop the protein unless your doctor says differently. Your body needs protein or it'll turn to your bodily organs for protein, heart, liver, kidneys, it wouldn't be pretty!  Keep the protein going, just add a dolculax to your daily regimen. I haven't had REAL orange juice, I have been having Crystal Light Sunrise Orange, tastes like Tang. REAL orange juice has to much acidity for me and causes diarrhea and that was before surgery! So I stay away from it. If you do try it, I'd suggest you dilute it 50/50 with water.
~Disclaimer~
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on T.V.
The views expressed in my posts are just that; MINE!
Please, remember that before grabbing the flame thrower.
~~~~~~~~~~
"Take what you want, and leave the rest"
~Sylvia Browne~
~~~~~~~~~~
And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

344/192/140ish

~

LunchladyG
on 2/24/07 11:54 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Pam. I've also heard that protein causes constipation. It prob has to do with the fact that you also can't eat the veggies that provide fiber in your diet. Have you tried Benefiber or something like that? If you do, make sure to drink LOTS of water. If you don't it might not help and it could compound the problem. As fo the OJ, I would try drinking only a couple ozs. because there is alot of natural sugar in it. You could mix it with water. My doc suggested for me to eat prunes. Again...high in sugar, so only a couple a day. Have you heard of Smooth Moves tea? You could drink a cup of that before bed and it will usually "work" by next morn. HTH Lunchie
horizontallychallenged
on 2/25/07 12:03 am
Hi Pam,  Whey Protein is a dairy product, are you sensitive to dairy? Whey protein can also cause constipation even if you aren't sensitive to dairy.   Are you taking iron or anything with iron in it? The reason I as is, iron is a bad constipator!  Another thing, make sure you're getting enough exercise where you move your abdominal muscles, this will help the bodies natural peristalsis. This is probably one of the most important helpers to getting things moving. I have a question about the orange juice, do you think you can handle that much sugar? It has high natural fructose, that may cause you to dump or have heart palpatations. Do you think it's the fiber that helped or the liquid maybe rather than the actual whole product? When you see your doctor, ask him about the OJ and make him help you with this problem!

Darn these infant sized shorts!
Meeting a Paramedic can be a shocking experience ~ "Web Medic"   

pwrightt
on 2/25/07 12:40 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I have stopped taking Iron because I knew it caused constipation. As for the OJ I believe it was the fiber that worked. But yes I am really scared of the sugar content. Will find out when I see our surgeon. As for my protein shake I am currently using an ISO shake. I don't think I am sensitive to dairy but who knows. I am walking 30 minutes a day on the treadmill so that should do it. Its so frustrating. I feel great except this takes two days out of my life every week. It zaps all of my energy. I may start taking up to 3 colace a day. I was on two and it did nothing. I have tried everything from benefiber to metimucil cookies. Nothing but gas. I really need to find something that works. This weekend I took senekot and move tea together. Boy did I pay for that. My stomach was so upset for a day. thanks again Pam
Kat C
on 2/25/07 1:13 am - Tuscaloosa, AL
I feel your pain! I have struggled with constipation since my surgery 2 years ago. I think for me it's connected also to my problems staying well-hydrated also. 64 oz/day is not enough for me - more like 100 oz/day minimum on sf decaf fluids. I hate to keep saying 'MORE WATER' as it seems like the answer to all problems! But on this, I have to say, it made a big difference for me. My surgeon had me on 2 colace 2x/day, and that helped some. I see you've tried Smooth Move Tea - that works better for me than any laxative, and faster. FOr "maintenance" I try to include some fruits & veggies, even juices. The natural sugars in fruit juices are too much for me, but I will drink some watered down juice sometimes. FOr orange juice, my surgeon suggested the LOW PUL***** pulp LOW ACID version, and even that, I water down for the sugar content. I'm far enough out to eat stuff that helps - like tomatoes seem to help me keep moving. When I've reached "crisis" mode, sometimes I will drink a cup of strong black CAFFEINATED coffee and that has always helped me along a bit. I'd keep trying other tweaks before cutting back on protein - that can bring a whole host of other problems (protein deficiency) I'm sure you don't want to deal with! good luck! Kathy
pwrightt
on 2/25/07 1:41 am - PHOENIX, AZ

I think I will have to up my water. I get in 64oz a day but I will up it to 100. With everything that you have tried are you still going to a crisis mode? My gosh at two years out you are a stronger person then I am dealing with this. I feel great except for this and it really has made my life misable.  I am also going to start the colace again. If you ever find anything that you think made a big difference please let me know.  Thank you once again Pam

Most Active