The Drug Lyrica??????

kadico
on 3/6/07 10:51 pm - Ypsilanti, MI
I was just wondering if anyone else was taking Lyrica for neuropathy.  I have been taking it for a while, and at night I crave junk like pretzels, sugar-free cookies, pringles etc.  I was getting concerned over this, because I started to experience a weight gain.  Needless to say, this was problem for me, and every night I would retire for the night vowing to not get up and eat anything.  This did not work, I would get up and search for something to eat.  I found out yesterday that Lyrica has a side effect of excessive eating. and weight gain.  My prescriber for the drug says that there are other drugs that treat neuropathy, but they too have other adverse side effects, and Lyrica was the newest and had the least. Any Help!!!!!or suggestions????  Thanks Kadi
Caryl Mauk
on 3/6/07 11:28 pm - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Other drugs have side effects, too, but it still may be worthwhile to try them out and see if the side effects are more tolerable.  Topamax was explored for use in weight loss.  I wouldn't expect miracles, but it may make you less munchy.  I don't have much experience with it in terms of treating neuropathy, so I'm not sure how it compares in that respect and not sure if it makes people feel tired much.  Neurontin is another option.  I have more experience with that.  I had many patients on Neurontin.  That one makes some people sleepy, some didn't notice it that much.  Nobody really complained to me about appetite issues, but I can't swear it isn't an issue for some.  Discuss it with your doctor and in the meantime, try to keep the healthiest snacks that you can for those emergencies.  Good luck.
rockmygypsysoul007
on 3/7/07 12:06 am - Moneta, VA
I have been taking Lyrica for over a year now for severe Fibromyalgia and it has never caused me to get the munchies. The only time I get the munchies is that 'certain time of month'.  For me it has been a miracle because I no longer suffer like I once did.  I know everyone is different, however. If you think it is causing you to graze, I would definatley look into an alternative. Topomax, as someone else mentioned, I am also on and it is amazing for preventing migraine. Good luck!
http://thelosingside.paulglover.net/

-50      -100      -172!                               
   "To Love Another Person Is To See The Face Of God"~~~~~~~~"Les Mis"
DSMITH60
on 3/8/07 3:20 am
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH NEUROPATHY,A WEEK AFTER I HAD SURGERY,I HAD SEVERE PAIN AND WAS UNABLE TO WALK AND WAS IN BED FOR 2 MONTHS,NO ONE COULD FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS, WAS REFERRED  TO A NEUROLOGIST.SINCE I HAD'NT BEEN ABLE TO WALK,MY LEGS HAVE BECOME WEAK AND I'M USING A WALKER. THE DOCTOR PLACED ME ON LYRICA AND ELAVIL. HE STATES THE NEUROPATHY CAME FROM THE DIABETES AND THE SURGERY STRESS BROUGHT IT OUT. WHAT CAUSED YOURS? I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO EXCERCISE AND HAVE ONLY LOST 50 LBS SINCE I HAD THE SURGERY ON 11/27. LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR NEUROPATHY,THIS IS NEW FOR ME.THANKS ,DOROTHY
Jill23
on 3/7/07 12:11 am - Kendall Park, NJ
I had very bad neuropathy--see my profile for details. I was prescribed prednisone, 20mg in the morning, lyrica in the afternoon, and elavil at night. After one day, I felt the lyrica was making me feel off-balance and my doc said to stop taking it. the prednisone and the elavil took the pain away. I took both for 7 days. I now wonder if I could have had the pain go away with only the elavil. Elavil is used for depression, but also for nerve pain. I didn't get extra hungry from the prednisone, but my weight loss may have been slower because of it. Good luck, Jill
Diane C.
on 3/7/07 3:04 am - NJ
My endo has used all the drugs mentioned above on me and right now we are trying Cymbalta.  I know that is a drug for psychiatric issues, but it also helps neuropathy.  I can tell you that Cymbalta is somewhat of an appetite suppressant.  It may be worth a try.  As with anything, I would suggest you ask your doctor.
Darlene H.
on 3/7/07 6:33 am - Pinson, TN
ytI have Fibro and neuropathy,  I take Cymbalta 60mg and Elavil 50mg at night.  I dont have any appetite problems because of them.  You may want to talk with your doc about changing meds.
Darlene Hughes
     Tangled Lights

Kahiah1
on 3/7/07 5:32 pm - LivingHappy, AL
Topomax makes people lose weight but made me crazy as hell. Nuerontin didn't work, amytryptiline didn't work, vicodin works and  is adictive, I've used Ultram for the past 2 yrs and it's losing it effectiveness, so now I'm trying Lyrica. So far, not much sucess. I haven't noticed much hunger, but I also have been having thoughts about eating when I know I'm not hungry. I had this before I started the Lyrica, so I think it's old habits of eating out of bordom or for entertainment trying to surface.
Most Active