corn tortillas, popcorn, cornbread, ok to eat?

peacehere
on 6/25/09 1:15 pm - CA

At this stage of post op you really don't need (shouldn't) add processed carbs to your diet.  Your pouch is very small and whatever room you've got should be filled with high quality protein.  Starting carbs of this sort is just not the best thing for our new small pouches.  Maybe your surgeon should do a referral for you to see a nutritionist who can help you in planning your meals/types ....when I had surgery a nutritionist from the weight loss surgery unit met with me to discuss the different stages that I would be experiencing re/foods.  Take it one day at a time.  You are so very right saying,"Risk staying fat or getting sick"  the first time I got sick was horrible...it is very painful.  Mind you I had not binged but the weighed out meat I had had didn't settle well in my pouch...anyhow it's great that you are putting out your questions now! vs. after the fact.   See ya and take care!  Sylvia
ejjy
on 6/25/09 1:58 pm, edited 6/25/09 2:04 pm - Watertown, MA
I think at the beginning for us a carb is a carb is a carb, and it's all off list.

Some folks find certain kinds of carbs are worse than others as far as setting up compulsive eating.  E.g. flour, especially white flour, bread, pasta, etc.  Even for some white rice, potatos.  There are some biochemical arguments for this but the bottom line is everyone seems to have their own line of sensitivities.  In general the simpler the carb is, the worse it seems to be for your weight and compulsive eating.  Sugar of course being the ultimate simple carbohydrate.

On my plan i'm supposed to have protein and ONLY protein until i'm able to comfortably eat 2 oz and have some room to spare.  The only exception is beans, because they have a lot of good fiber and offer a complete amino acid profile.  My plan says "non-protein foods should be added in the following order: cooked vegetables > fruit > rice/potato/pasta/bread"  So before i go for a wrap, i should be really going for some non-starchy vegetable.

With all that said, i am a sinner.  I'm in my 2nd week and I have already consumed part of a low-carb tortilla i used as a wrap, some popcorn, a couple of steak fries, and a few zitis.  Mea culpa.  By far the only component of my meals is protein, with a small component of cooked vegetables.  This might have been a horribly bad idea, i truly hope not.  i prefer to think a few small deviations are nothing to panic about.  Denial?  Well, time will tell. 

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Most Active