corn tortillas, popcorn, cornbread, ok to eat?

mom_to_4boyz
on 6/24/09 1:36 pm - CA
im only 24 days out from gastric bypass and i have been hooked on recipe searches. some ppl sub corn tortillas for flour tortillas. are they really better for you or are they just as bad? my dr says no bread, pasta, rice, tortillas until im 6 months out.can i have corn tortillas, corn bread and popcorn? i know i can eat whatever and risk staying fat or getting sick so i ask  for healthy options and staying on track. im still trying to figure all the food options and swaps. i want to be a success at this so any help would be great. i know protien first, but would it be ok to wrap my beans in half a corn tortilla or is that just as bad as a flour one? just confused here

karma-4.jpg picture by keiratoutsupermomwifewomantired.jpg picture by keiratout     I'm a shorty at almost 5'3"

ButterflyNyla
on 6/24/09 1:38 pm - Fayetteville, NC
 I had a piece of cornbread when I was about a month out.  Not by choice, but my bariatric team sat me down and made me eat a bowl of soup and some cornbread.  I didn't have a problem with it.

canticles
on 6/24/09 1:59 pm - Richardson, TX
 Just curious...  Why did they do that?
ButterflyNyla
on 6/24/09 2:55 pm - Fayetteville, NC
 I'm going through a really rough time with my hubby and on that day I hadn't eaten in a few days and as of now it's been a few days again.  So the team therapist wanted to see some food go in me.  And man, it was the best chicken dumpling soup ever ... who knew hospital cafeterias were so good!!

canticles
on 6/24/09 2:03 pm - Richardson, TX
 Mission tortillas makes some low carb, whole wheat fajita sized tortillas that have 8 grams of fiber in them.  This is my go-to tortilla.  A lot of people have mentioned kid sized flat-out wraps too.  I haven't tried those yet.

I would say any of those things is fine, on occasion, when you get cleared for that stage.  The issue is, will it become a habit for you or not.  You have to be the judge of that for yourself.  The other issue is how well you can tolerate those foods.  It can be a very individual thing.

I have had all of those things but not much at all.  Of course, you bring up corn bread and I can almost taste my mom's corn bread!  LOL
Cindy O.
on 6/24/09 2:47 pm - Bryan, TX
At this stage post op you really don't need (shouldn't) add processed carbs to your diet.  Your pouch is very small, and whatever room you've got should be filled with high quality protein.  Starting carbs of this sort is to go down a very slippery slope.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
peacehere
on 6/24/09 3:35 pm - CA
Hi there: YOur question is a good one.  I caution you to talk with your surgeons office first before making any kind of dietary decisions bc where you are right now is not about carbs it's about protein bc your pouch is small right now to bring on (what I call) entertaining foods.  Take care, Sylvia
Cindy O.
on 6/25/09 2:16 am - Bryan, TX
Sylvia,
just want to let you know that you replied to me, instead of the OP.  If you want her to read your message, you'll need to repost.
C.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
jemof2
on 6/25/09 12:35 am - Shreveport, LA
I use Mission Carb balance tortillas (whole wheat) and they do have a flour version also, but I like the whole wheat much better - it seems easier to eat.  I make pizza with turkey pepperoni and parmesan cheese on them.

I also like to use the flatout bread Multi Grain with flax.  Lots of fiber and hardly any fat.  I have switched to these for my pizzas now because they're a little bigger and I can eat more now.
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

nascar24n48
on 6/25/09 9:26 am
I would stay away from that until you are really close to goal.  Trust me as I have and do eat off plan.  But it tastes sooo much better at goal!!!  If you must have a bite just make sure it stops there.  Wow, I sound preachy. Not intended that way. Honestly, I have Del Taco's Del Carbon taco with corn tortillas probably twice a week and have no guilt NOW!  24 days out is reallly too soon.

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

Most Active