Silica for hair loss?

Shemonkey
on 12/31/09 3:32 am
Hello all!
So I'm about 3 months post op and my hair is falling out in clumps. I know this is not abnormal after bariatric surgery but its still scary. I started taking in more protein but I want to start taking Silica to promote hair growth and pssibly stop so much loss. However, I'm not sure which brand is best. It seems to come in many forms and sources and a lot of them are not easily absorbed. Does anyone have a postive expereinces with a specific brand or type?  Thanks so much!

Tina B.
on 12/31/09 4:08 am - Palm Coast, FL
Hello and Happy New Year. I have never heard that silica would help in hair loss. When other posts same subject matter, answers are of biotin and zinc. My hair loss occurred about 6-7 mos post op. when I lost about 130 lbs in that time frame. I am now 13  mos post and have lost another 40 lbs and I can now see results of new hair growth. I think because I lost so fast is why my hair fell out in clumps.  It scared me to death because I thought I was going to lose all my hair but did not. What is silica, a vitamin or pill or liquid or food item? I guess I will look it up on internet to see what silica is. I hope best for you with it, but also try the biotin and zinc. I also read that the medicated shampoo Head and Shoulders was great for stopping hair loss and re-energizing hair growth. Did not try that but thinking about using it. Good Luck on your method and definitely post your results for all of us to read. I will wait to see what you write about the silica before I try it. Thanks for the info, Tina
Tina B.
Navytown Mom
on 12/31/09 4:11 am
I am using biotin and I hope it helps. I have not heard of silica before and would love to know if it works. Please keep us posted.

MsBatt
on 12/31/09 4:51 am
Google 'telogen efflusion'. It will explain why you're losing hair, and when and how it will come back.

Silica is...sand, right??? How's that supposed to help you grow hair, when you can't digest it?
Privacy Please
on 1/1/10 4:38 am
MsBatt

Here's an abstract about silicon (silica) and bone health.  Thought you might find it of interest.  I supplement silica daily, derived from horsetail extract.  I don't know if it's benefiting my hair, but I certainly hope it will help keep my bones healthy.  :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/
Valerie G.
on 12/31/09 6:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Your hair is coming out BECAUSE of new growth right now.  Telogen Effluvium is your hair growth cycle basically "rebooting" itself.  The new follicles are pushing out the old ones, so you'll be seeing the results very soon popping out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

babytmakes6
on 1/1/10 5:01 am - canisteo, NY
I am also a member of the Yahoo Gastric Bypass forum and they talk about Silica on there quite a bit and many members use it.  The one member is post-op and started taking Silica when she noticed the hair loss.  She said her hair is now thicker and curlier then ever before in her life.  Im thinking of maybe taking both Silica and Biotin both as a "double whammy"  Good Luck!!  :)
Most Active