Georgia Newbie

LynetteT
on 4/13/10 9:55 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Hi Everyone,  I am new to the website and very much interested in hearing from you.  I am currently looking into either the lap band or sleeve.  I attended my first seminar with Dr. Macik in Atlanta.  I am going to set up an appointment with him.  I am interested in feed back from those who had either surgery.  Also, what to expect once the approval process begins.  I have Cigna insurance.  Anyone know how long Cigna normally takes to notifiy you of approval?
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/10 9:57 am - AZ
On April 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Pacific Time, LynetteT wrote:
Hi Everyone,  I am new to the website and very much interested in hearing from you.  I am currently looking into either the lap band or sleeve.  I attended my first seminar with Dr. Macik in Atlanta.  I am going to set up an appointment with him.  I am interested in feed back from those who had either surgery.  Also, what to expect once the approval process begins.  I have Cigna insurance.  Anyone know how long Cigna normally takes to notifiy you of approval?

This is something I wrote to someone else trying to decide between band and sleeve:

>>I'm curious about the long term risks and complications you mention - besides the need for a replacement once every ten years or so?<<

Esophageal spasms (I had this)
Esophageal dilation
Esophageal motility issues (I have permanent damage due to the band)
Pouch dilation
Erosion
Slips
A slip causing necrosis of the stomach
Stoma spasms (I had this)
Port pain (I had this)
Port infections
Band intolerance (I had this)
Scar tissue begins growing on top of the stomach and under the band causing additional restriction that we don't necessarily want and even with an unfilled band you can have too much restriction and an inability to eat solid food.

Mechanical problems:
Tubing disconnected from the band
Tubing disconnected from the port
Port flips
Kinked tubing
Leaks throughout the band, tubing, or port

The ONLY way to fix a mechanical problem with the band is surgical.  Studies range from 30-50% of people need another surgery in the first five years to correct something with the band.

If you need your band surgically repositioned such as after a slip or if you have your band replaced for any reason your odds for a slip are 70% in the first couple of years after re-op.

Banding provides the slowest and the lowest weight loss of all procedures.  When I got a band I knew I'd have to work harder to lose and maintain than with a more drastic procedure and I was fine with that.  I was not fine with puking, sliming, foaming, and all the assorted ways to vomit.  I was prepared for it to be hard, but not that *kind* of hard.  The kind of hard that I had no control over.

>>With the sleeve, are the results still the same? I've spent 25 years overweight and while I'm not looking for a "quick fix", I really don't want something so drastic as surgery only to have it take years and years to actually loose a noticeable amount of weight.<<

No, the results are better with a sleeve.  You'd be surprised at just how NOT drastic a sleeve is.  It takes just a few minutes longer to do than a band and recovery is about the same as a band.

>>I am currently doing portion control and healthy eating and while I might lose a pound here or there, for the most part it's not doing a bloody bit of difference (SO frustrating). I know with the lap band that your portions become miniscule compared to what someone without the surgery would eat - is the sleeve the same?<<

Good questions, btw. ;o)

With a band absolutely everything affects restriction.  Everything.  Time of day, TOM, weather, humidity, altitude, stress and various emotions, food temp, types of food, swelling for unknown reasons, everything.  Anything can affect restriction.  When I was banded I was always one extreme or another.  I could either eat an entire porterhouse or I couldn't keep my own saliva down due to obstruction for unknown reasons.

With a sleeve most people report that restriction is about the same all the time.  I can eat 2.5oz of solid protein and that's it, I'm done.  No more food.  Or, I can eat about 5oz of soft foods such as tuna salad, refriend beans, etc.  No more of "Today I have restriction, yesterday I didn't."  I have restriction 100% of the time across the board.  One thing that does make a difference for me is that if I drink something ice cold before a meal I can eat about half what I usually would.  Other than that, it's the same all the time.

>>I'm also curious if there are medical conditions brought on by excess weight that will make having this surgery impossible?<<

Not that I can think of.  For the most part if you qualify for a band (medically) you'll qualify for a sleeve.

>>I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. I also have arthritis, bursitis among others. I'm curious if the hiatal hernia would affect whether it would be possible to get the surgery (whatever one I end up deciding on) or if the surgery actually fixes or lessens the effects of these conditions.<<

If your GERD is from your hiatal hernia (likely, most of us have HHs due to excess weight) then fixing the hernia gets rid of the GERD.  If your GERD is not from a HH then the only surgery type that will be safe for you is bypass.

Most of us have HHs and especially if you carry a lot of weight in your stomach.  Most surgeons fix HHs at the time of WLS.

Sleeves have no maintenance and aftercare.

Bands have maintenance and aftercare for life.

Bands have the lowest and slowest weight loss.

Bands are not forever.

If you want to do yourself a favor I'd suggest finding 5 people that have been banded for 10 years or longer.  Not someone that your friend heard of or your doctor told you about, YOU find these people and YOU talk to them.  See how they still like their band.  I'll bet you won't find anyone banded for 10 years or longer.  It's been around for at least 18 years for US citizens (we've been going to MX for WLS since at least the 70s) so they should be around, right? ;o)  Bet you won't find any.  I've been posting on WLS boards for 3 years and the longest I've found anyone that had a band was 9 years and she was contacting me to ask about a revision to a sleeve.

Revisions are big big big business for WLS surgeons.  They are doing tons of them.

Never listen to a newbie about how much they love their surgery types.  They are in the honeymoon stage and they all love their WLS type and their surgeons.  At about 6 months they start getting more realistic and realize it isn't their surgeon that is doing the work to get the weight off, it's them.  But they still love their surgery type.

For bands at about 12 months out they are having problems but the scale is moving so they'll live with it.  At 18 months they are sick of the band problems and they are considering revisions.  At 24 months they are getting revisions.

There are some people posting here that have been banded 5-7 years and happy but not many.  They are certainly the minority.

Scan the band boards, scan the sleeve boards.  The band boards are all about not getting restriction, need another fill, getting stuck, dilated pouch, dilated esophagus, slow weight loss, etc.  Scan the sleeve boards, overall people are happy and losing well.  Sleeve people don't usually post long, they post before, during, and immediately after surgery.  Band people post for years trying to get support and information on how to overcome problems.

Just my experience.

LynetteT
on 4/13/10 11:20 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Thank you this helps alot.
meochie
on 4/13/10 10:29 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Lynette, I live in Stone Mtn. and Dr. Titus Duncan was my surgeon. This is a wonderful journey and I wish you well as you begin the approval process. Unfortunately, I can't help you about the insurance because I have United Healthcare. Blessings, Meochie

LynetteT
on 4/13/10 11:20 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Thanks Meochie
georgiapeach74
on 4/13/10 11:34 am - dallas, GA

Hi Lynette,
I live in Ga also. Dr Titus did my RNY surgery so I dont have any info on the sleeve. I also have Cigna insurance not sure what other surgeries they cover besides the RNY. It took me over 2 years to be approved with alot of jumping through hoops. Just make sure when you do turn in your paperwork you have all the info they require. I was turned down first and had to appeal it and was then approved 2 weeks later.  Be patient it was definately worth all the time and trouble. I am almost 2 years out from my surgery and have lost 125 lbs. I would do it again in second:) Good Luck to you

Alyssa

LynetteT
on 4/13/10 11:39 am - Gwinnett County, GA
Thanks Alyssa.
katiebob
on 4/13/10 11:47 am - lyons, GA

Dr Macik is awesome, he did my surgery 1 year ago this month. I was pleased with is out look on the surgery and his honesty. He is all business and a very good surgeon. I was in surgery like maybe 4 hours, I had the RNY bypass and I have lost almost 200 pounds.

So, good luck with your surgery ad tell the staff at Dr Maciks office hello from Dennis Joyner.

Dennis

LynetteT
on 4/13/10 12:23 pm - Gwinnett County, GA
Thansk Dennis.  Congrats on the weight loss. 
Don 1962
on 4/13/10 11:58 am
Dr. Michael Williams did GF's RNY 5 years ago.

Go ask on the GA forum:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/GA/

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active