OT: Raise your hand for PLANNED PARENTHOOD

Bette B.
on 4/11/11 4:00 am
 On February 18, 2011, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to bar Planned Parenthood from all federal funding for any purpose. The Senate will consider this legislation next, and it's up to us — the one in five American women (and a whole lot of men!) who has been helped by Planned Parenthood in their lifetime — to stop it. Let's show just how many women are ready to fight for this organization and the people it serves. Raise your hand!

www.raiseyourhand.org/

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 4:18 am
This is a weight loss forum, not a place to push one's political views.

btw, I'm glad I didn't follow planned parenthood's advice 34 years ago.  I have a wonderful son instead.
Bette B.
on 4/11/11 4:25 am
Dang, is this your first day here, hon? Where on earth did you ever get the idea what WEIGHT LOSS was the only thing discussed on OH? And here's a hint: OT stands for OFF TOPIC. Make a note of it.

And **** I am NOT PUSHING anything, but I am - whether you like it or not - expressing my own opinion - whether you like it or not.

Congratulations on your son, but that decision should not be FORCED on anyone. Just like WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, each person's decision should be their own. Not yours.

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 4:30 am
Really, Caseylovesbooks? You decide what can and cannot be posted on a forum? When did OH give you the job of hall monitor?

As with most people who fail to understand the scope of Planned Parenthood you think reproductive health care is political. What do my ovaries and uterus have to do with politics? I think I'm sensing a religious zealot who would try to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body. You are the type person who makes PP political, not the original poster.

Obesity Help is all about health. Reproductive health is just another facet of health care. And just for your information, the Main Board is not limited to discussions of weight loss. Nice trying being a bully but sorry, you fail.
Bette B.
on 4/11/11 4:34 am
That's the whole argument about PP: what they are about so much more than just abortion. None of the conservatives wants to consider how many MORE unplanned, unwanted children there would be in the US if PP didn't provide free birth control, how many more cancers and cancer deaths there would be if PP didn't help with mammograms and Pap smears, how many women would die if they didn't get the basic medical care PP provides.

LOL - and bullying ME ain't gonna get her anywhere but tired.

Bette B.
on 4/11/11 4:38 am
Then again, PP provides medical assistance to women who don't have or can't afford health insurance (which will be ME in another month) - and "those people" are unemployed, minorities, poor or a combination of those, and *****ally cares about THEM? 

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 8:26 am
Planned Parenthood provides:

HIV testing and counseling.
Menopause services and replacement hormone therapies.
Urinaty tract infection treatment
Breast exams
HPV vaccines
Pap tests
Annual well-woman exams

In 2009 they provided:

IN TEXAS

• 90,021  health care visits were provided for women, men, and teens
  • 39,722  people received birth control or emergency contraception
  • 71,936  tests for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) were performed 
  • 11,192  HIV prevention counseling and testing visits were provided
  • 19,878  people received information from education and outreach activity
  • 10,448  advocates signed up for the Planned Parenthood Action Network 
  • 14,005 estimated unintended pregnancies were prevented with birth control
  • 15,367  pap tests were performed
  • 1,015 women received care for precancerous cervical conditions 
  • 2,611 Spanish speaking individuals attended a Promotora presentation 
  • 7,367 teens received sexual health education presentations
  • 8,375 hours contributed by volunteers

So I think it's more than about politics.  I think public health initiatives are in the best interest of those on both sides of the political spectrum.  I can't think of anyone who would benefit from a group of reproductively uneducated people and I am unsure I would want to be associated with anyone who would deny people access to such health services.

MsBatt
on 4/11/11 9:09 am
This is your first post in almost three months???

Everyone else has given you elegant, well-stated replies, so I'll just say "*******!"
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/11 9:57 am

I just love you Miss Batt. You say more in fewer words than anyone I know!

MsBatt
on 4/11/11 10:06 am
LOL! I read your post, and thought "Well, she said it all better than I could, so just tell the ***** to **** off."
Most Active