ER visit from HELL update!!

berrixblonde
on 4/14/11 12:55 pm, edited 4/14/11 1:15 pm - NY
 So the ER my surgeon told me to report to said that if the rectal bleeding occured again to come back for an emergency colonoscopy. Well it occured again. Called the surgeons office and this time they wanted me to travel the hour to the hospital i had the surgery. There my surgeon sent down members of his surgical staff (a NP and PA) and they assesed me throughly. Had 2 rectal exams and neither of them felt the internal hemrrhoids that the previous ER doc felt(LIAR!). So they started an IV and sent me for a colonscopy which came back with internal hemrrhoids located in my sigmoid colon. As if the 1st ER doctor could reach beyond 6 inches into someones butt unless he was inspector gadget......(calling and complaining about that hospital visit). So they send me home with a plan of action and my surgeon called me personally to apologize and tell me he wants to see me in his office next week. Atleast now i have an answer for my moderate rectal bleeding....
Elizabeth N.
on 4/14/11 1:13 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I'm so glad to hear this. Definitely follow through on that complaint!
Wired
on 4/14/11 11:43 pm - St Charles, IL
 The issue may have been retraction of the hemorid. The first Doc may have felt them, but in the mean time they have retracted up higher where the finger > butt test might not reach the second time. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 12:53 am - Charlotte, NC
I, too, am glad that you found out the cause of the bleeding and that it's not life threatening.
Absolutely follow up on the first ER visit...tell them you will NOT pay and that you may just seek an attorney. This is NOT normal for most ERs. I DO agree, that it's rare to find anyone IN the ERs who is either a WLS RN/MD or knows all that this surgery entails. I carry a card in my wallet, aside from my regular allergies and medical info that states I am a PROX ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS patient and if a NG tube is needed to BE CAREFUL!!!! It's in case I can't tell them myself.
Thanks for the update and be well!
Kelly-RN
on 4/15/11 1:01 pm - TN
I wear med alert bracelet for same reason...  hope everything works out for you.

Kelly

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/15/11 11:16 pm
oh, my. I'm glad you now have an answer & hope they can help you soon.  big hugs!  and LOL @ inspector gadget!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active