Zumba Class -Can I do it?

mollypitcher08
on 4/13/11 1:23 am
Hello everybody:  I am asking you all because I am not sure that I can do this.  There is going to be a Zumba class starting up in a couple of weeks.  It will be a hour session, however the "try out" session will be 2 hours long (not sure but maybe there will be more stuff involved) anyhow, here's my story:  I had WLS (RNY) almost 3 years ago.   I lost 200# and have since re-gained about 16# 8 of which I have dropped)
I thought the Zumba class would be interesting and a fun way to maybe tone up as I love music and love to dance even badly as I am at singing & dancing! I also might be lucky  to drop some weight.  However I am not in the best physical shape, either.  I still weigh in at 245# and have alot of loose skin issues including a huge swinging apron (picture a wavy waterbed and you'll get my drift) PS is not something I am quite ready for yet.  I'd like to get 50# pounds off if possible.
 Do you all think this is something I could do? Again right now only issues Ihave are some HBP (controlled and not hugely high) and thyroid (low) and am on anti-gout medication.
I am pretty sure my own MD would be fine with it however there are a few who I work with who are taking the class also and if I can't finish or do it I don't want to be humiliated either by getting done or even dropping over (maybe doing physical harm with my apron hitting someone in the face (LOL) (only joking)   I admit I'm nervous over being seen (not vain just self conscious) thanks for your replies - I appreciate any thoughts. 
dragonflyshy
on 4/13/11 2:55 am - Wilmington, MA
Zumba Rocks!

I have been to many classes and here is what I say. You can do it!

They tell you right in the beginning, that as a newbie...it's going to take time to get the hang of it. My first time I was tripping all over my own feet. They kept saying "all you newbies, watch and try at your own pace". But it is so fun! You forget you don't know the steps and you all laugh as you go. It was just as good for my mental health as my physical.

There are people there of all shapes and sizes. Even tons of men!

I say if you are embarrassed try Zumba at home first! Try one of their DVD's. If you have a Wii or Kinect they have the video games for it.

You could even drive a bit and go to a class where you don't know anyone. Speak to the instructor before hand and tell them your fears. Every Zumba instructor I have come across was awesome. And as always, check with your Dr. before you start this.

ps. My last Zumba class had NO ONE under 250 lbs in it.

Photobucket

mollypitcher08
on 4/13/11 3:32 am
dragonfly: thank you so much for responding.  I think it is more that when I do any type of exertional stuff my apron swings and sometimes little "noises erupt which sound almost like passing gas!! LOL! Not always but if I am swaying hard I guess I tend to think on a situation too much and that causes me to reject the idea of even starting something like a zumba class.  So.. I'm attempting to negate that type of thinking.
I appreciate your ideas but if I am going to do this I need to step up and "face the musis" so to speak and just do it locally.  I don't know how fast or how far I will be able to go but at least I will have attempted to try something new and heck I might even like it!!
Again, thank y ou for replying- I appreciate your knowledge.  I will try & post at a later date on how I make out with the class.  Take care   Mary
dragonflyshy
on 4/13/11 4:55 am - Wilmington, MA
You go girl!

Here is the thing about the zumba classes too, everyone is trying to keep up, the music is SUPER loud, the instructors are yelling, and everyone is focused on them. Everyone is too busy worrying about themselves and keeping up, much less look around at what everyone else is doing.

And like I said, go at your pace. You miss a step, oh well. You are having fun, and getting healthier. That is what matters.

One thing I forgot was every one steps away here and there for a water break. And bring a towel because you will sweat. I am not a heavy sweater when I work out, but OH BOY, Zumbe=Sweaty Hott Mess....but I still loved it.

I can't wait until I am at a healthy enough place again to do it. 

Photobucket

mollypitcher08
on 4/13/11 5:59 am
Dragonfly: thanks again for the heds up and for the good advice as far as water and a towel both of which I will bring.  In talking with a friend, she also gave me the name of a certified instructor who also teaches yoga, and belly dancing!! (Now that would be a true challenge for me and very interesting (picture the night before Christmas and the term a bowl full of jelly!) that'd be me!! Anyhow I am going to call her and see about advice/or classes which may be set up for beginner, intermediate & advanced instead of all together as this class will be.
I hope you can get healthy enough to do zumba again also, hang in there - it will happen.  I will try & post on here and let you know how it goes!! Thanks again.  Mary (Molly P)
Most Active