xp - Calories and exercise?

Carrie W.
on 5/10/11 1:38 am - KY
I'm a recent post-op (6 weeks out).  Until last week I'd been putting off starting exercise.  I generally hate exercise for the sake of exercise. 
Last week I had my 6 week check up and the exercise physiologist really kicked my ass for not doing it.  And I hadn't lost any weight in a couple weeks so I started on Friday with the exercise.

She wants me to work up to 60 minutes of cardio a day then later add in some weight training.  I've always been an active person and while I am very heavy, I was in fairly good shape.  Right now I can't do 60 minutes of cardio at once so I broke it into two 30 minute sessions.  I also can't go really fast but I'm getting in more than 2 miles a day.  I am doing intervals as I can. 

My eating plan is very strick.  I'm to eat 400-600 calories a day.  I wanted to up my protein so I've quit eating anything but chicken/turkey/fish and greek yogurt.  I'm also not allowed protein shakes.  I'm averaging 500 calories and 73g of protein a day. 

I'm not sore or anything but I am tired.  Is this just something I'll have to get used to or am I really hurting myself exercising like this on so few calories?  I had pretty much gotten my energy back before I started walking.  I have to admit that I'm not sleeping very well right now either so that may be part of my fatigue.  I do take my vitamins as I'm supposed to. 

Thanks!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

crystal M.
on 5/10/11 1:55 am - Joliet, IL
I too had to work my way up to a 60 minute walk.  Lately I am working my way up to running instead of walking.  I physically wasn't able to go do it ...from exhaustion.  My body needed more fuel....I had to add calories into my diet in order to push myself further.  At 600 calories you will feel fatigue.  So until your doctor has you increase your calories you are going to feel tired.  

For me it was as easy as adding 3 apple slices and a table spoon of peanut butter about 30-45 minutes before my workout and a protein drink afterwards.  Now I am able to push myself like I wasn't able to before.  I was worried that adding calories would slow down my weight loss.  But I am still losing fine.  Last month I lost 9 lbs....and I'm two years out.  I'm down 150 lbs so far
Carrie W.
on 5/10/11 2:11 am - KY
Thanks!  Did you talk with your doctor or nutritionist before you added calories? 

I don't know how long to wait before I talk to the doctor about it.  I don't want to seem like I'm whining or looking for a way around my food plan.  I'm really not.  I just don't want to be this tired all the time!

Thanks again!

crystal M.
on 5/10/11 2:18 am - Joliet, IL

No I didn't talk to either my surgeon and nutritionist.  I am two years out now and only see my surgeon for my yearly check up.  You are still in your first year so I would make sure you talk to your surgeon or NUT.  I actually took the advice of a friend that runs marathons....I figured if it didn't work or I stopped losing weight I would stop the snack.  But no problems with that.  It really only come to an increase of 250 calories (which seems like a lot to you since you eat so few calories.)  For me I went from 1000-1200 calories a day to about 1200-1400.  Which Is a good healthy amount when you are working out 9 hours a week. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 2:30 am
Hydration is also essential to fighting the fatigue as you begin to exercise more.  Please make sure you are drinking enough--at least 64 ounces daily.  If you are perspiring a lot, that amount must be increased.
I am such a rule follower.  I would not add anything additional until I discussed it with the surgeon and/or NUT.
Also, don't forget that your activity is just as effective in 10 or 15 minute increments as well.  If you become too weary, you could break it up a little more.
Good luck!
Carrie W.
on 5/10/11 3:32 am - KY
Thanks!

I get between 100 and 140oz of liquid, most of i****er, a day.  I do drink before and after my workout. 

I'm very much a rule follower too.  I will talk to the NUT before I do anything diet wise.

I started out doing like 15 or 20 minutes at a time.  I hate the whole thing too much to try to make myself do it more than twice a day.  I'm better able to make myself do 30 minutes than add another session, lol.  I don't get too tired while I'm walking, it's after.  Today for instance, I walked from 7 to 7:30am.  I went to the barn to feed my horse and got ready to go to my mom's office.  I'm covering the phone for them while they're out and about.  About 11:30am I was just exhausted.  Yesterday I took a huge nap.  I dunno ....

Thanks!

crystal M.
on 5/10/11 7:16 am - Joliet, IL
Yes, I would talk to your NUT because your exercise should leave you energized not tired.  When I leave the gym my muscles are tired but I have energy...it's endorphins.  If you are drained after wards than it's because you are pushing yourself too much (which it doesn't sound like you are doing) or you're not getting enough fuel to your body. 
Greytquilta
on 5/10/11 4:01 am, edited 5/10/11 4:02 am - North Kingstown, RI

Carrie, You are only six weeks out.  You had major surgery, it took me longer than that to shake the anesthesia.  Also with so few calories your body may be going into starvation mode and you need the extra calories to lose weight.   Because everyone's body is different it really i**** or miss trying to balance calories and energy.
Pat

PS  take your measurements, sometimes you don't lose weight but are losing inches and the only way to know is to take measurements.

Most Active