Edit

Dionysus
on 4/17/11 9:05 pm, edited 5/6/11 2:03 pm
Edit
Jolly Rancher
on 4/17/11 10:51 pm
I don't agree with exclusions, or the one surgery per lifetime stipulations that more and more employers are adopting on their insurance policies. That said, I think this is why a person REALLY needs to research all surgery options thoroughly before making a decision. Even if your policy allows for revisions today, it doesn't mean it will next year. You never know.

Every person should go into WLS thinking that this is a one time shot, if they are lucky enough to have insurance that covers bariatric surgery. They should select a surgery with really good stats that is going to work for them, and their personal cir****tances, long term.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 11:25 pm
I agree but would modify your last sentence....

They should select a surgery with really good stats that they hope is going to work for them, and their personal cir****tances, long term

Nobody knows for certain if their choice is perfect for them, nobody has a crystal ball, all any of us can do is make the best educated and most informed choice based on data avaiable, including a deep and abiding understanding of self.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Dionysus
on 4/18/11 9:39 pm
Dionysus
on 4/18/11 9:01 pm
Mary Catherine
on 4/17/11 11:48 pm
 I am not saying it is fair or that there are not exceptions, but most insurance companies and the public looks at it more like this:

A person has a terrible automobile accident.  They are taken to the hospital, given surgery and care and emerge as good as new.  Then they jump into their car, deliberately cra**** into the nearest tree and then come back to the hospital to get everything fixed again.  The hospital and surgical team fixes them again. They go home and deliberately wreck their car again and wind back in the hospital with identical injuries.

After a few more repeat self-inflected accidents the hospital and surgical team starts to think there is no point in continuing to fix up that person because they are going to continue to sabatoge their health.

So they think if the weight loss surgery patient did not go home, follow their food plan, and avoid regain, there is no point in continuing to give them weight loss surgery.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 12:03 am
So they think if the weight loss surgery patient did not go home, follow their food plan, and avoid regain, there is no point in continuing to give them weight loss surgery.

There is the problem.  Too many medical professionals assume it is something the patient has done wrong and that is not always the case.  I believe that it is seldom the case. 

This is coming from someone who gained weight on an 800 calorie a day diet while going to the gym 4x a week.  I logged every bite that went into my mouth and followed the diet to the letter.  All of this was for class credits in college and I most certainly did not want to fail!

I am also a revison from a prior WLS that failed me.

Michele
Dionysus
on 4/19/11 2:51 am
Dionysus
on 4/19/11 1:54 am
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 12:34 am - San Jose, CA
Yet another reason to

THINK TWICE, CUT ONCE!!

The strategy of having the "least invasive" surgery with the idea of "upgrading" later if necessary is foolish for yet another reason.
Most Active