Surgery tomorrow and I am walking away from it

desertdancer
on 4/28/11 1:16 am
I have 99% decided due to my cold I have had for 3 weeks due to lack of nutrition, the cysts we still havent figured out the reason they are there, the fact I am going ovarian cyst removal as well, fact that i have had 60 plus grams of protein daily for 6 weeks and the past 2 weeks with 800 calories or less the headaches, nighttime shivering, complete lack of any energy and I know with my heart its due to lack of nutrition/calorie intake, and some information I got from a website that just made me put some peices together that I am going to wait on the surgery. I still havent eaten and still doing the liquid diet today in case that changes but i dont think so. I contacted my advocate and waiting to hear back from her. I am not asking for anything back yet, just how much time will my insurance company give me to wait and possible do this at the end of the year. I just have a few things to figure out and I think I feel relief if i investigate a bit more.

Maybe I need to be older, maybe I need to be struggling with more disabilities, I dont know. But i do know that if the lack of calorie intake is making me feel this way NOW I am terrified of how it will feel for 8 months after the surgery.

I am frusterated, been through a lot and spent a lot of time, money and emotional with this.

Thanks for listening

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

missnanajean
on 4/28/11 1:25 am - Friendswood, TX
Sorry you are having issues, I totally agree you need to find answers to health issues before undergoing such a life changing surgey.Very well thoughtout responsible decision, hope you feel better soon. I agree keep on your diet but maybe pumpng up the proten and calories a little and Vit C and taking Bariatric vitamins will help give you the nutrients you lack to help you heal. Good Luck and keep us posted.
  Miss  Jean   
Susan S.
on 4/28/11 1:36 am - Roselle, NJ
Your current cold/infection and issues with ovarian cysts are a concern (although if you surgeon was willing to go ahead I would trust his/her judgement). However, your reaction to living on protein shakes and not being sure you can deal with it postop....is something I think you can rethink. There is no doubt that life postop is different......but after about 6 weeks of adjusting to and struggling mostly with dehyration....I felt amazing! You may wait until you have more serious co-morbidities to feel like this big step is worth it - but those co-morbidities increase your risk. Talk to your surgeon/advocate. The most important thing is having peace with your decision. Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

shantele7824
on 4/28/11 1:47 am - SAN PABLO, CA
hey I wanted to just put my two cents in and I will be praying for you.  You have a right and its your choice to do it or not but I want to ask why would you logically wait till you have more co-mobilities, why would you even want to go through those things they aren't pretty or anything I would wsh on anyone.  I am having surgery with the 2 co-mobs and they are morbid obesity and sleep apnea, I want to stop any chance of getting anything else related to obestiy.  But at the same time WLS should be your last resort and you should have tried eveything else.  I am tired of living how I am living right now and I am ready to do WHATEVER it takes to get my life back, you have to be at the point in your life also and then it won't be not one doubt in your mind of if what your doing is the right thing.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

desertdancer
on 4/28/11 2:28 am
Just for those who have not read my past posts, and know me. These are my issues

related to obesity: MILD sleep apnea (almost gone), joint and bone pain in many areas, high cholesterol, (triglycerites are horrible), was borderline diabetic but pulled away from that a bit with the 95 lb loss. Breathing, is horrible with exercise and uphill.

NOT related to obesity (unless just fatty cysts), Cyst on ovary which i am still having surgery tmw to deal with, cyst sitting up against my heart wall and lung (between the two, outside) 2 cysts we are just learning about on my mid back area (big ones) cyst in my arm. SEVERE over the top fatigue for a year and has gotten worse over the past 6 months, and the past 2 weeks of low calorie intake has made this into a realm i can not explain. I can not remember passwords for voice mail i use daily, can not put together thoughts in a timely manner, sleeping 12 hours at night and not being enough.

Just throwing this out there, thanks again.

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

Johanna !
on 4/28/11 2:42 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
It is safer to have surgery before being obese makes you sicker.  The less comorbidities the better.

Once you have the surgery your body treats living on 800 calories much differently than preop... You do not feel like you are starving yourself. You do not get all those nasty symptoms that a non op gets.

I hope you decide what is best, but I honeslty think you should have the surgery.
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/28/11 2:52 am
 Just want to mention something about the cysts. Is it possible you have PCOS??? Many of us do, and it goes hand in hand with obesity. It's sort of a viscous cycle, because PCOS contributes to excess weight (and many other issues) and excess weight can contribute to PCOS.

I had the DS because it was best at addressing the metabolic issues like PCOS, and I needed to be able to take NSAIDs like aspirin or ibuprofen for pain, if needed. It is also the best at addressing cholesterol, since we don't absorb much of it. I don't know what surgery you are even having, but make sure you've looked at the DS since some of your issues would be best addressed with it.

You DO need to make sure your deficiencies are under control, before you have any surgery just to give yourself the best recovery possible. Whatever the case, I hope you get things figured out and remedied as ASAP.

terilynn112
on 4/28/11 2:54 am - maryland, NY
I have pcos, polycystic ovarian syndrome. There is a lot of research that says the cysts get better. Since I also have endometriosis, and was done with having children, I've had my ovaries removed. So I can't say for certain for me, that it's helped.

The truth is, depending on surgery you have. You don't require to be that malnurished 6 or 8 months from now. I'm considered well nurished, and have one large double milk chocolate milk shake (sugar free of course). That gives me 40 grams of protein, plus I eat my protein and just starting veggies. I feel great. So you don't have to live on protein shakes.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 3:15 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Fatty cysts are a fact of life for us MO folks.  They will go away with more weight loss.

Your memory problems sound like Vitamin B12 problems;  takr.e some sublinguals DAILY until you feel better. 

I hope you get the nerve to continue your journey;  try eating more protein to increase your healthy feelings.

Good luck.
anna R.
on 4/28/11 3:45 am
Has it been suggested that you may be dealing with fibromyalgia. The fatigue, memory loss, and pain are symtoms. I have cronic osteo arthritis for which I have undergone 13 orthopedic surgeries. I then was diagnosed with fibromyalgia which can go hand in hand with OA. It took the Dr a while to diagnose since the OA masked many of the symptoms. The fibro brain though has caused me to forget much. Even when talking I will not find the right words for the sentence. Most of my family and friends are aware and just fill in the blanks for me.

Good luck with your decision, and any upcoming surgery you may have.

Anna

Most Active