What is better PJ's or Gowns?

Lynda Butler
on 5/1/11 3:29 am - NC
Just wondering everyones opinion about their stay in the hospital.  Wondering whether to pack pajamas pants and shirt or will gowns be better.  Or do you have any other tips on things to pack for the hospital stay?  surgery is May 9 th and I want to be prepared.
Lynda Butler            
Vivian Prouty
on 5/1/11 3:38 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Lynda....I would go with the gowns.    You will have some small incissions that the PJ's may rub and irritate.   Good luck to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

mrskreuter
on 5/1/11 3:54 am
RNY on 02/24/11 with
Well I took my nightgowns and ended up staying in hospital gowns because of the IV line and I had a heart monitor ......so take the gowns and if your lucky you will get a chance to wear them. Best of Luck to you and take care! Debbie

Crimson
on 5/1/11 5:22 am - MD
I would take gowns, but like the poster above me said, may be difficult with the iv's, pulse ox they attach to you. i stayed in a hospital gown and it worked out best. especially for the restroom, all i had to do was pull gown forward and sit. no hassle of holding gown up or pulling pants down.

best of luck 
unewillow
on 5/1/11 5:33 am - CT
I stayed in the hospital gown until the day I went home. My surgery day and the morning after I still had a foley catheter in, and my JP drain wasn't pulled until my day for discharge. It was just easier to stay in the gown. On my day of discharge I took a shower and put on comfy yoga pants and a t-shirt I didn't mind getting stained (which it did with bloody lymph fluid) before going home.

Amber L.
on 5/1/11 5:36 am - Sweden
Chapstick, apparently!
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

chickie_mama
on 5/1/11 5:38 am
RNY on 08/18/09 with
just go with the hospital gown.  its easier all the way around. besides your going to so stoned on pain meds that your not going to care.  dint forget to pack your slippers so you can do your walking. a brush for your hair, a head band/pony tail holder.  books and magazines i feel will just be a wast because you will feel tired and wont keep your eyes open long enough.  chap stick. extra socks. those you will have a problem with putting on, so maybe a nurse or a family member can help you put them on if your feet get cold.  think about how you will sleep when you get home. your bed may be too low to get in and out of. i slept on my living room chair with my legs up on an ottoman. i found that to be pretty comfy that i parked their for 6 weeks. you may not be as comfortable as i was on a chair.  get your post op food. please don't go nuts and buy the Costco size stuff yet. YOU WILL NOT FINISH IT. you wont be able to eat much, you wont be hungry, and you will wind up throwing it out because it spoiled.  if you hospital offers you visiting nurse service, take it.  its great between your Dr. apts.  take the breathing thingy home and use it at home.  the more oxygen in your body the quicker your wounds will heal. have someone to help you around the house/run errands ( like pick up meds etc. ) don't knock yourself out. when you feel like your surgeon dint do the surgery, you know your doing good.  best of luck on your surgery.

Dee~cee

p.s  DO stock up on your vitamins, cal, iron, b-12. TAKE THEM DAILY no matter what.

Lynda Butler
on 5/1/11 6:54 am - NC
Thanks so much for the information everyone it really helps to know what to expect.
Lynda Butler            
CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 5/1/11 6:59 am
Hey Lynda....Don't bother with any pj's. You won't be there long enough. Just wear the hospital gowns. They were comfortable. Of all the things I brought the only things I wound up using were my tooth brush/toothpaste, hair brush/hair clip and my chap stick. The clothes I wore to the hospital were the ones I put back on to go home in.

I couldn't make it  to the support group meeting last week. If you went I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you before your surgery. But we'll meet up eventually sometime. At May's meeting they're having a clothing exchange also apparently.
Sandy  

Lynda Butler
on 5/1/11 1:35 pm - NC
Thanks for the tips.  I did not go to the support group either We were camping at Lake Wateree and We came home that day and all I was wrapped up in was unpacking our camper and washing clothes.   Hope you are doing well.  I have completed a week of the liquid diet and have already lost 13 pounds.  It has been hard but I have made it through. 
Lynda Butler            
Most Active