Food for Thought: Could regain be due to nutrient deficiency

Lauren003
on 5/1/11 11:16 am - , NC
and not simply lax eating habits? In other words, what are your opinions on deficiencies driving our desire to graze or do other things that aren't typical of our past behavior?

Confucius say: Man who smoke pot choke on handle

Lori P.
on 5/1/11 11:26 am - Kenosha, WI
I don't think for most people that is the answer.    Weird new eating habits are more likely a continuation of the disordered eatng most of us had prior to WLS in a new and improved form d/t our new food limitations.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

MsBatt
on 5/1/11 11:53 am, edited 5/1/11 11:53 am
I firmly believe that deficiencies drive our desire for certain foods, which could, in turn, lead to grazing. For instance---when my niece was small, she ate dirt. Nothing her folks did could keep dirt out of that child's mouth. Her peditrician told them to feed her pickles, that she was eating dirt because she was low in magnesium or zinc or something that's in pickles. (It's been a long time, I don't remember exactly what.)

Anyway---soon as they started giving Megan pickles, she stopped eating dirt. But she's 29 now, and your pickles STILL aren't safe around this kid! (*grin*)
Lauren003
on 5/2/11 12:33 am - , NC
I find it curious that regain starts to happen right around the 2 year mark for many people which happens to be when our body's nutrient reserves are depleted. Some people say that malabsorption ceases and that is why we regain, I can't emphasize enough how WRONG that is. It occurred to me a few days ago when I was talking to my mom on the phone, she remarked that I am always snacking when we talk. I started thinking about it and yes, I am, I snack all day long because of uneasiness inside that I had apparently thought snacking could rid me of. Something is going on and we need those who had rerouting done before us to tell their experiences.

MsBatt
on 5/2/11 6:33 am
Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Lisanelson_2
on 5/1/11 3:06 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
 Hey Lauren,

I'm know you know how I feel about this.   I know that nutrient deficiency can drive you to want to graze - and a whole host of other things.   That was one of the first problems I experienced post-op and talked to my family doctor about it.    I was doing great and losing weight, thoroughly enjoying my "honeymoon" period.   About 24 months post-op I noticed right after lunch, just wanted to snack snack snack.   It was sort of a feeling of dis-ease, that something wasn't right, and that bag of chips made it better, temporarily.   The doc even prescribed medication that masked symptoms (though it seemed to make it better), but symptoms came back even worse when I stopped taking the meds.   I finally found out I was deficient in many nutrients, in particular magnesium - voila!  no more snacking!   What a welcome relief.

PS - thanks for you support!
Lauren003
on 5/2/11 12:35 am - , NC
Yes, a dis-ease. Not sick, not pain, just off.

M M
on 5/1/11 10:38 pm
 Hypoglycemia can be a REAL CAUSE for regain issues.

Many of us tend to graze eat to avoid symptoms and to treat symptoms, and we may "forget" lots of calories.
Lauren003
on 5/2/11 12:37 am - , NC
Absolutely. Blood sugar control is a delicate balance for some, easily thrown and hard to re-center.

Phyllis C.
on 5/1/11 10:48 pm
I don't think I have any deficiencies, but I do think I eat certain things to avoid them.  I can't drink milk so I have always loved cheese.  My need for calcium drives my craving for cheese.  This was/is true pre and post op.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Most Active