Dr says NO protein shakes? Im confused

southernlady5464
on 5/14/11 8:19 am
However, even as you admit that if you had RH, it would likely be different. And since SO many RNY'ers are popping up with RH, it's better to forestall it than have it happen for sure.

Since you do NOT know my medical history or the reason I chose the DS, please do not lump me into a general catagory...

And just for the record, the REASON I chose the DS is I already had RH and did not want the RNY to aggrevate it.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

VictoriousSecret
on 5/14/11 9:30 am
Your comment says to eat every 3 hours to prevent RH.  My comment says that if you do not have RH, you do not need to eat that way if your surgeon does not recommend it.  I said nothing of why you chose your DS.  You were giving advice to those with the RNY... inaccurate advice.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/14/11 9:43 am - Tuvalu
On May 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, VictoriousSecret wrote:
Your comment says to eat every 3 hours to prevent RH.  My comment says that if you do not have RH, you do not need to eat that way if your surgeon does not recommend it.  I said nothing of why you chose your DS.  You were giving advice to those with the RNY... inaccurate advice.

Since the RnY pouch is so tiny, and can seldom hold enough volume to account for the needed protein for ANY person to stay healthy, especially early out, one has to question how your surgeon supposes that his patients consume sufficient protein to stay healthy in only three meals a day.

One of the facilities I visited before I got my band out and revised to the DS had "visual aids" of how we would be arranged with each surgery they offered.  The RnY pouch was shown as the size of an egg.  Since an egg is one of the best sources of protein and that an egg is only seven or eight grams of protein, that means that an RnY person (or anyone with an egg-size stomach or pouch) would, with only three meals per day, max out at 24 g of protein...hardly enough to prevent a host of medical problems.

Did you doctor explain how his patients get in all their protein with only three meals per day?

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

VictoriousSecret
on 5/15/11 1:33 am
Well, unlike the OP, I'm allowed to have protein shakes, so that is one way.  The other point that came to mind is that we all preach on this board to follow YOUR surgeon's instructions, but as soon as someone posts that their surgeon recommended something different than someone else's, we jump on them with all the reasons it must be wrong.  I believe my surgeon knows the size of my pouch better than anyone, and his plan has been working quite well for me so I intend to stick with it.

Temporarily holding on losing more because I'm gaining!  Pregnant with my first baby (a boy!) due June 2013, after two rounds of IVF.  SO GRATEFUL!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/15/11 2:03 am - Tuvalu
On May 15, 2011 at 8:33 AM Pacific Time, VictoriousSecret wrote:
Well, unlike the OP, I'm allowed to have protein shakes, so that is one way.  The other point that came to mind is that we all preach on this board to follow YOUR surgeon's instructions, but as soon as someone posts that their surgeon recommended something different than someone else's, we jump on them with all the reasons it must be wrong.  I believe my surgeon knows the size of my pouch better than anyone, and his plan has been working quite well for me so I intend to stick with it.

Your doctor probably allows the shakes because he DOES know that your pouch will not hold enough protein if all you get is three meals a day.

It isn't about critiizing anything other than lousy math and logic skills on the part of SOME surgeons.  And egg-sized pouch can hold as much protein as does an egg and not much more...and three eggs a day would be 24g of protein...not enough for any of us.

But for anyone who insists on following surgeon info about nutrition (which would be like following an RDs info about surgery), here are the symptom of protein deficiency:

www.livestrong.com/article/8922-spot-signs-protein-deficienc y/
southernlady5464
on 5/14/11 9:56 am
My advice stands since the best way to AVOID RH is to eat often (6-8 small meals a day). And even my stomach which is larger than a pouch can not hold enough at one meal to get ALL my protein in one day.

You're still early out yourself....I just hope for your sake you don't end up one day on here moaning about having RH yourself.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

VictoriousSecret
on 5/15/11 1:34 am
Always a great way to make your point in a disagreement... "Well, I'm not right about you now, but in a few months, I probably will be".  I think I'll leave the moaning to you, thanks.

Citizen Kim
on 5/13/11 10:25 am, edited 5/13/11 10:25 am - Castle Rock, CO
Same here!  Only had protein shakes for my liquid phase - have always got my protein from real food and despite being told that my body would eat itself and I would die of a heart attack from lack of protein (this Board is always so super supportive LOL) - I'm still alive 7 years post op!!!!!

Oh, and I've never eaten a protein bar either - I think I have a very healthy relationship with real food and eat like a normal person and not a WLS patient ...

redsnapper1975
on 5/13/11 10:31 am
In my program I can add protein to my milk to reach my daily goal, but am highly encouraged to get my protein from food once I am able to eat enough.  Part of our permanent plan is 8 oz skim milk between meals instead of solid food snacks, which should round out the protein.
~ Kim

Price S.
on 5/13/11 11:41 am - Mills River, NC
Every Dr is different.  I have 4-5 meals a day with protein and 2 shakes and my protein level is great.  If you are comfortable doing what he suggest, great.  Keep track of your protein level.  If you need extra, you can add it.  Just like Drs are different, so are we.  I would have a hard time with 3 meals a day and no extras.  And my weight loss has been steady and just fine.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active