RNY after Molina band...want to hear your experiences with either

flyonthewall
on 5/12/11 12:04 pm
Hello. This is my first post.....so I will give a little background about myself.

I had a gastric segmentation (non adjustable Molina band) in 1995.  I weighed 370 day of surgery.  The surgery was an absolute Godsend for me.  It changed my life.  I lost all the way down to 195.  I stayed there until about 2002.  I gained up to 215, and stayed there until 2007.  The doctor had said I would lose to my lowest weight, then gain 20-30 lbs.  He said if I wanted to lose that 20-30, I would need to diet and exercise regularly.  In 2007, I put on a few pound here and there until I was at 225. I just wasn't staying as full as I once had.  I would eat small amounts, but within an hour or so, I was hungry again.   By 2009, we were considering having a baby.  I was having lots of reflux.  I knew Dr. Molina had passed away.  I started searching for a doctor I could follow up with to ensure everything with the band was ok, and would not complicate a pregnancy.  I found that virtually no surgeons would see Dr. Molina's patients.  I called several.  As soon as they found out I had had him as a surgeon, I was promptly told "We are sorry.  We don't see "his" patients." 
     I went to the doctor in Houston who took over the practice of Dr. molina.  He did am esophagogram and said there was no evidence that there was even a band there.  He said I should not be feeling any resistance at all. The barium apparently just went right on through very quickly.   He said that the resistance I was feeling  was all probably psychosomatic, and that when I was ready I should let him remove the old dacron band and replace it with a Goretex band.  I told him we were going to concentrate on a baby, and then I would consider it.  I asked him for an EGD so I could make sure the band had not eroded to the inside of my esophagus.   The EGD showed nothing out of the ordinary. 
     SHortly after that, we conceived our precious little boy.  I only gained 18 lbs with pregnancy.  I lost it as soon as he was born.  However, he turned a year old yesterday.  I have gained 20 lbs since his birth.  :(  I am up to 245.  I have been really upset about the way I look, the way my clothes fit.  I have been trying really hard to exercise and cut out any unnecessary calories.  I cannot budge from 245. 
    About 5 months ago, I was talking to my cousin who is a PA for a bariatric surgeon in Dallas.  Her surgeon would not see me, either, but referred me to someone who would see me.  I went to see him, and he said it is not safe to remove the Molina band.  It needs to be cut out.  He recommended to RNY.  He is very knowledgeable about Molina bands, possibly troubles that may be on the inside once he goes in there, etc.   I went through the 3 month counseling, dietician, etc.  We finally have a surgery date.  End of June. 

So that brings me here asking you dear people for input.  I would love to hear from anyone who has had ANY revision after a Molina band.  Anyone who has had complications from the Molina band.  Anyone who has had a RNY so I can discuss what to expect (good or bad).  I am a nurse, and on my floor we see a lot of bariatrics......but not RNY's.  We see bands and sleeves.  I have done my reading on the RNY, but I want to talk to individuals who have experienced.  I am nervous about the procedure, but I am even more nervous about weighing 370 again.  :(   When I had my original surgery, I didn't have the internet to do research onthe surgeon.  I have read many negative things about Dr. M.  My present surgeon is stellar and I am confident things will go well.  (I am praying for that!)  Thank you for reading, sorry about the long post. 
beemerbeeper
on 5/12/11 1:36 pm - AL
Research all your options before you make a decision.  The DS has the best long term results (which is what it is all about IMO).  Read the revision forum.  Check out www.DSFacts.com.  Check out the DS
forum here on OH too.

You've already had one procedure that didn't work LONG TERM.  The RnY is known for the malabsorption ending after 2-3 years or so.  So you will be back to dieting and exercise to maintain your weight loss.  The DS has permanent malabsorption and the most liberal and forgiving eating/diet.

~Becky

Ladytazz
on 5/12/11 2:37 pm
If you look to the top of the page on the upper right  you will see a box that says search.  If you type in molina you will get a lot of information.
Here is one thread.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_aro und/4090872/Information-about-the-Molina-Gastric-band/

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

flyonthewall
on 5/13/11 5:12 am
Thank you so much! I am having trouble learning how to navigate the site!  :)
juliekcn
on 5/13/11 2:23 am - Durant, OK
I have a very similar story, I had the Molina band in 1990 when I was 18 and weighed 275.  I lost down to 160 in college but my weight kept creeping up. I know most of this was my fault and I know I was probably too young to fully understand the permanent lifestyle changes that I would need to make. I was up to 245 when my husband had VSG in November 2009.  I consulted with his doctor and he wouldn't see me due to the complications of taking out the band.  My brother then had VSG in March of this year and his surgeon did meet with me.  He said the problem with the Molina band was that they are made with a mesh-like material and it grows into the stomach tissue, hence the problems for removal.  I had an upper GI done last year and after talking with the doctor who did that and viewing the medical records my surgeon agreed to do a revision on me.   I am scheduled for a VSG on May 19th.  I will let you know how that works out for me.  I was really apprehensive about it until I spoke with a friend of my father who is a surgeon.  He told me that he has removed several Molina bands with success (however not with doing a WLS revision).  I am really freaked out but I am more freaked out about all the complications I am beginning to see with my weight gain. 

flyonthewall
on 5/13/11 5:25 am
Thank you for posting!  I would love to keep up with your progress, and share mine.  So is your surgeon going to cut the Molina band off?  Or use it in some way for the surgery?  The main thing I am nervous about getting the band removed is I do still feel resistance.  Not like I used to, but I feel it.  I don't stay full as long, but I am terrified of a new pouch being too big, or something like that.  I never want to weigh 370 again.  I thought about just getting on diet pills to see if I can amp up my activity level.  But I have neurocardiogenic syncope and I am concerned diet meds would aggravate that.  Then there's the issue of being addicted to pills.  :( My luck I trade in the addiction of food for pills.  Not good.  Did your doctor say if your stomach looked like it had a band anymore.  My x rays do not look like I do.  I am curious what my surgeon will find in there.  My husband does not really want me to have a revision.  He is very afraid of surgery.  After he read of all the horror stories of Dr. Molina's band, he wants it out.  He supports my decision for revision if that's what I want.  He is quick to tell me he doesn't think I need a revision.  He loves me just as I am.  :) 
  Thanks again for replying.  Let's keep in touch!
MsBatt
on 5/13/11 10:48 am
Two words---Duodenal Switch (DS---www.dsfacts.com

Go, read, learn.
Most Active