New to site and have scheduled surgery date

Sadeyes49
on 5/16/11 1:49 am - CT
Hello all,

I'm new to this site and I'm also scheduled on gastric bypass surgery next Wednesday. I'm nervous. I was looking at before and after pics and they were very encouraging! So this has really helped me make up my mind and not chicken out of it.
bgames
on 5/16/11 2:22 am - Denham Springs, LA
I just scheduled my surgery for 7/4/11. VERY nervous. Mostly interested in immediately after surgery. How bad is it? Painful? Are you hungry because you can't eat anything except clear broth for a week. How terrible am I going to feel? I know it will be worth it, but I also don't want to think it's a breeze only to find it terrible.
Mary Catherine
on 5/16/11 2:37 am
 The hardest time for me was before the surgery.  I was so afraid that I was doing something so drastic.  When I woke up from surgery, there was some pain, but I had a morphine pump and pushed the button everytime I felt a little twinge.  All of the pain was gone in a few days, except for one sore spot where they insert the stapler.  That was sort of a crampy feeling on my left side for over a week.

I was up walking right away.  I had surgery on Tuesday. Went home on Thursday.  Rested on Friday and was up doing light housework on Saturday.  I went back to an office job on Monday.  I had absolutely no hunger.  An ounce of broth or few teaspoons of sugarfree jello filled me up for hours. 

That was in 2007.  I have never been hungry again.  I have lost all my excess weight.  My hair, figure, and skin look wonderful.  I am full of energy and off of medications.  I am sorry I did not do it years earlier.
cece4859
on 5/16/11 3:30 am - MA
wow, i am so glad to check this message, I am having RNY this month on 31st....I am so nervous as well, my three children don't want me to have, my husband died last Oct. gastric cancer so this surgery is to do with the stomach , colon and that is scaring them. I need to do this for myself, I have sleep apnea, borderline diabetic, high cholesterol, I was wondering what will I be able to eat in 5 weeks from surgery? I am going to FL walt disney for 1 wk and affraid that I won't know what to eat ?
Mary Catherine
on 5/16/11 3:45 am
 At five weeks out you will not be hungry at all.  Concentrate on protein and fluids.  

Get some samples of protein powder that you can mix with water or skim milk.  Also carry Crystal Light to put in water bottles.  Get in lots of fluids while walking in the heat.  You can pick up things like yogurt, string cheese and sugar-free jello at a local store.  You will probably be able to eat some tuna or eggs. Pack some protein bars and keep them with you.  Stick to mostly protein and a little vegetables if you have room in your pouch.

Five weeks out from surgery at Disney is not the time to try anything new.  Practice at home with foods and try to make sure that they do not make you dump, get weak, or have diarrhea.  Many of us get lactose intolerant after surgery.  Try milk and yogurt at home for the first times you have them.

I am sorry that you lost your husband.  My husband died from bladder cancer in 2009.  Your kids will be scared, but this is a very easy surgery and you will be much healthier for them after the surgery.

Most Active