Travel

missnanajean
on 5/15/11 10:33 pm - Friendswood, TX
I'm getting ready to travel by air for the first time since surgery and am wondering  if I need to bring my bottles of supplements or can I just take what I need. Also liquids ,shampoos etc. or safer to buy when I get there.
  Miss  Jean   
Katari
on 5/16/11 1:19 am - OR
Depends on where your going and how long you plan on being gone. I went oversea's for a month and took my vitamins from home and some protein bars/beef jerkey etc. but left the liquids and shampoos at home since I figured I'd have to buy them there anyhow. It was harder to find protein powder but if your just going somewhere in the states it shouldn't be a problem. Have a safe trip!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

RedAppleCandie
on 5/16/11 1:37 am
It also depends on how long ago you had surgery and what type of foods you are allowed to have. 

I had surgery on 5/3 and flew to Colorado 5/14.  I am still on the "full liquid" stage of my post op diet, and what I did was this -
I got several small rectangle 24oz tupperware containers, and filled them with my various protein powders.  (can fit about 6-7 scoops in each).  I then secured the lids with a couple of rubber bands, and wrapped them in clothes and put them in the center of my suitcase.  All arrived with no issues.  For the plane ride, I ate breakfast before I got on the plane.  Then I took my shaker bottle, and a 'sample pack' of protein powder.  When the drink service came around, I asked for milk, and made my shake right on the plane. 
I also bought a bottle of water before I got on the plane to sip sip sip (in my airport, you can't take drinks thru security, but you can buy them on the other side)

I also made sure to get aisle seats on all my flights, so I could get up and walk every 30 mins or so. 

When I got to Denver, I went to the grocery store, and bought milk, eggs yogurt and cottage cheese.  (total of $20)

As far as shampoo and stuff, I did not bring any of that, as I am staying with family, and they have all of that already. 
For more in depth detail, visit the TSA website.  www.tsa.gov  and check out their PDF flyer - www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311_brochure.pdf

Hope that helps!!

volleyballgirl
on 5/16/11 5:39 am - Germantown, MD
You've gotten some great suggestions and information from others.  I just wanted to add one note.  If you take any prescriptions on the plane, they should be in the original containers.
Have a great trip,
-K
Most Active