Vit B12 Sublingual

Alyssa P.
on 5/18/11 1:22 pm - Twin Cities, MN
I'm sure there's been 8000 posts about this in the past....

My surgeon originally had me start out on monthly B12 injections; though now suggested I do sublingual.  I cannot make out his handwriting & I can't remember what he said as far as dosage goes.  

If you take the B12 sublingual, how much do you take??

Thanks in advance!
Alyssa  
"Adopt the secret of nature.  Her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lady Lithia
on 5/18/11 1:24 pm
Costco has some nice sublinguals that are 2500 mcg so I use them, they melt nicely

A lot of people do 1000 mcg

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Alyssa P.
on 5/18/11 1:26 pm - Twin Cities, MN
Do you take the 2500mcg each day? 
Alyssa  
"Adopt the secret of nature.  Her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lady Lithia
on 5/18/11 1:57 pm
Right now I do, if my numbers are too high next time I get my labs done, I'll back down a bit. I was extremely exhausted in late February and early March, so I upped it to daily, and am still quite exhausted daily (I was working double time in preparation for being out for surgery, in February adn March, and am working double time now after returning from a five week hiatus).

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

djactenaz
on 5/18/11 1:24 pm
My surgeon recommends 500 a day (can't remember the measurement).  That's what DH takes, but I don't like the flavor of that one.  The one I found that I DO like is 2500 a day.  I only take it every other day though.  
Dave Chambers
on 5/18/11 11:33 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You should be able to find one or more mg dosage sizes of B12 at any GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, pharmacy, nutrional store, etc.  B12 levels will be checked on labs. I took the ones from GNC (forget mg size, and bubble pack dispenser does not list dose). I took these daily, and adjusted according to labs and surgeon recommendation.  I took a sublingual B12 daily, and first labs were over 2000. Surgeon said take every other day, and next labs were only slightly less. I then stepped down to 2 per week, and levels were still over 1000.  I then stopped using them for some time.  At 4 years B12 levels were around 600, so I began taking a couple per week again. Each patient is diffent, so labs are the deciding factor for each individual. Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

mkbeany
on 5/18/11 11:55 pm
I take 2500 mcg SL daily.

I buy them cheap cheap at Kroger. (I hit the BOGO when they have it)

My yearly lab revealed a B12 on the high side but doc was happy with that.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
cajungirl
on 5/19/11 1:40 am, edited 5/19/11 1:40 am
I take 5000 mcg per day currently.  I do occassionally (once my labs are done) change this if needed.  At a minimum I never take less than 2500 per day.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:52 am
You can get the Nature Made brand at Walmart for around 5 bucks.  They dissolve quickly and don't taste nasty.  I take 2 a day, everyday.  I think they are 500.. I can check the bottle when I get home, but my B12 levels are right where they need to be.. and I'm not paying the GNC prices.  Plus, the ones I tried from GNC took a long time to dissolve.  Just my 2 cents :-)
Karen P.
on 5/19/11 3:20 am
I also take the Nature Made from Walmart.  They are tasty and disolve very quickly.  I bought Bariatric Advantage right after surgery and they took forever to disolve.  I didn't pay attention to the mg on the bottle, but my levels have been fine.

Most Active