Is this normal at 8 months out????

kmama101
on 5/19/11 10:05 am
For the last 3 months I have not lost any weight at all. I have actually gone up a few pounds. Around the time I started to stall I also started a new job. I love my job so I don't think I am stressing at all. I typically eat between 800 to 1100 calories a day I went from 263 pounds to 159 pounds but 30 pounds of that was lost 2 weeks before my surgery. Any suggestions?? I am not going to let it get me down because I am very happy with where I am at. I am a size 8 now.   Thank you to all *****spond!!

Katie

hollykim
on 5/19/11 1:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
More info would help us help you. Are you getting 64+ oz of fluid a day? Are you ngetting plenty of protein and less empty carbs? What is a days menu for you typically like? Are you drinking soda or alcohol? Drinking when you eat?

kmama101
on 5/19/11 1:43 pm
Thanks so much for replying. I eat between 4 to 6 times a day and I get at least 100 grams of protein a day. I make sure that I drink at least bare minimum of 64 oz of water. I usually start the day off with a 45 gram protein shake, For a snack it is either a cheese stick or 1 oz of jerky. for lunch I usually do turkey and cheese roll ups or other protein high choices. dinner is usually always 3 oz protein with 1 oz veggies.  All my snacks are protein foward. I have had a little peice of easter candy here and there but never over 8 grams of sugar at a time. to afraid to see if I dump. But I have put that to a stop!. I know I can do this.  thank you so much!

Katie

Mary Catherine
on 5/19/11 11:04 pm, edited 5/19/11 11:05 pm
 RNY takes off 100 pounds - give or take.  That happens because of the surgery.  Not because of eating protein, drinking water or getting exercise.  Those are all good things that you need to do to keep your weight off and it is good that you are doing them.  After the initial 100 pound drop, it is normal to stop losing.

Even  though you are happy with where you are now, it is very wise to use the rest of your honeymoon period to take off another 20 or even 30 pounds.  That is because there is a bounceback weight gain when the body learns to overcome some of the bypass surgery and stops malabsorbing calories.

Additonal weight loss now will be slow, but it is still very doable.  After the honeymoon period it  is typical to regain about 20 pounds and it is extremely difficult to lose weight again after the body has readjusted itself.  It becomes extremely efficient at maintaining weight again.  

Almost everyone who is three or more years out struggles with regain, even when closely following a food and exercise plan.  
walterswife
on 5/20/11 12:06 am
It seems to me as if you have done exceptionally well within a relatively short period of time.  Your posts lead me to the following questions/comments:

1)  How many ounces of fluids are you consuming?
2)  I wonder if you are getting enough calories.  1200 sounds good but 800--don't really know if that is enough at your stage to encourage your body to lose more than it has already lost. 

Again, congratuations on your success. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Lisarn1
on 5/20/11 1:04 am - Raleigh, NC
Hi, I'm 17 months out from RNY. I have basically maintained my current weight for the last 6 months, while also starting a new job that I LOVE!! My activity level at work has increased 100 fold and I still work out about 3-4x/week. I had to reconfigure my meal plan to accommodate the increased activity and BS management. Your body may simply be adjusting. Stay with your meal plan and maybe speak with your nutritionist or surgeon for any other suggestions. Please try not to let it get you down.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Most Active