Dumping 12 hours later caused me to pass out?

jocelyn
on 5/22/11 1:32 pm - Northwest, IN

I had BBQ ribs last night or should say I attemped to eat them but quickly realized they were too sweet.  I didn't feel well but no dumping or other cramps during the evening.  This morning I was woke up with stomach cramps so went into the bathroom.  I had waves of cramping and diarrhea for quite a while while in there, then I felt more cramping coming and the next thing I know is I trying to wake up but was on the floor.  I must have hit the floor with my nose.  It was bloodied and swollen and is now bruised.  I'm pretty sure it is broke.  The cramping and diarrhea never returned.  Other than the injuries I got from the fall I have been fine today. 

This is not the first time this has happened.  In the last 4 years it has happened 3 times.  It has always been after an episode or encounter with sugar.  I have no other health issues that would cause me to pass out other than the dumping.  It has been 8 years since my RNY surgery and I know how much sugar I can handle.  I can even eat a candy bar every once in a while.  This afternoon I had a few donut holes w/o any problems.  This is a very rare event in my life but has anyone else had this happen?  For me there is no warning I am going to go out, I just wake up on the floor but today was the worst I've been hurt.

unewillow
on 5/22/11 2:09 pm - CT
Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia. Your blood sugar probably crashed and made you pass out.

Dave Chambers
on 5/22/11 11:41 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Dumping usually occurs less than an hour after eating, usually pretty fast. I had issues passing out and feeling dizzy at times starting at 8 months post op.  I began testing with my PCP, and after several tests with no definitive results, I got a referral to a cariologist.  One more Holter Monitor test (my third) and a diagnosis. I had low bp issues. My normal bp was on the low side. My cardio doc said that after short periods of higher bp, I would return to my normal low. BUT, at some times, my return to normal "would dip" too low, and that's when I had either dizzy spells or passed out.  The only other issue I had post op was an issue with low D. I ended up getting a pacemaker implanted and back on my old high bp pills of 15 years.  No more dizzy spells or passing out now. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

roobi
on 5/23/11 12:55 am
 Have you seen a doctor about this? It sounds like more than dumping if you are passing out cold. Like someone else said, it could be reactive hypoglycemia. It can be very serious if not treated. You could go into a coma if a crash is bad enough.
southernlady5464
on 5/23/11 1:05 am
You need to see a doctor, if it's low blood pressure, you need to have it treated, if it's RH, you will need to learn to manage it.

Links on RH/ also known as LATE Dumping:

NIPHS Noninsulinoma Pancreatogenous Hypoglycemic Syndrome

See the bottom of that page:

Mayo Clinic doctors have recognized and reported on a seemingly rare but serious complication following gastric bypass called non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) or post-bariatric surgery hypoglycemia. After a person eats, this condition can result in very low blood sugar levels that lead to severe neurologic symptoms, including visual disturbances, confusion and (rarely) seizures.

It’s not just Mayo doctors tho, I found other links as well:
Post-pradial Hypoglycemia

Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycaemia syndrome (NIPHS) caused by an activating glucokinase mutation

Evaluation and Management of Adult Hypoglycemic Disorders: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline

Electrical short-circuit in b-cells from a patient with non-insulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemic syndrome (NIPHS): a case report

Clinical features and morphological characterization of 10 patients with noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycaemia syndrome

Evaluation and Management of Adult Hypoglycemic Disorders: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline Section 2.0

New Data on Weight Gain Following Bariatric Surgery

Reactive Hypoglycemia is a miserable condition. You go high with your blood sugar and then drop really low very fast. It's like riding a roller coaster that you can't stop. And sometimes the roller coaster hits bottom and crashes and kills you.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active