Need Help

Dee52
on 6/2/11 7:15 am - Fort Mill, SC
  I had my gastric by pass about 3 yrs ago and have gained 15lbs
I am trying to lose it but it just wont come off.  I go up and down between 2 and 4 lbs but cant get back to my goal weight of 120. 
 Has anyone else had this problem?  If anyone can give me some advise I would really appriciate it.     Thank You 
                                             Denise
Mary Catherine
on 6/2/11 8:39 pm
 It is very rare to find someone who has no regained during the third year.  The body learns to overcome the malabsorption of the surgery.  The pouch becomes adjusted to eating more variety and much larger amounts of food.  Dumping usually is gone by now.  

Bounceback weight of about 20 pounds happens fairly quickly.  It stays on no matter what you do.  Diet and exercise will help you to look and feel better.  Diet and exercise can stop the gain from getting any worse. You will most likely never again have an easy time losing weight and keeping it off.  

The weight that is gained during the bounceback is harder to lose than before surgery.  You are doing the right thing by catching it at 15 pounds.  Many people don't fight and end up regaining a lot of weight. Fifty percent of people regain half of their lost weight by the time they are at five years out from RNY.

Some things that should help:

Weigh yourself every day.  It is easy to go into denial if you do not weigh.  It is very hard to step on to the scale when you think that you have gained.  It is like taking a test in school when you do not have confidence that you will do well.  

Give yourself permission to be human.  You are probably not staying on a strict diet.  Almost nobody is.  If staying on the perfect diet were possible, we would not have needed surgery.  I gave myself permission to eat some of the foods that used to be forbidden.  There are no longer any forbidden foods for me.  I eat what I want, but I also watch the scale.

Get enough sleep.  If you are not getting your eight solid hours of sleep, your body is more stressed and more likely to gain weight.  Exercise helps with this.  So does establishing a schedule that gives you lots of sleep time.

Most Active