Hypothyroidism after surgery!

lsyphrett
on 6/8/11 1:11 am - Spring, TX
Hello, I am 5 years out and lost 220lbs. However, in the last 4 months I have gained 25lbs. and have all the signs of Hypothyroidism! Has anyone gotten this after their surgery? I never had thyroid problems before and thought that surgery could give you HYPER not HYPO. Can anyone help?

THanks, Lesa
2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/8/11 3:21 am

Still in pre-op phase but I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 years ago and started to gain then really gained after meds with roids in them.
I asked my surgeon about any changes that may occur and I was told that some patients are healed after the surgery and metabolism can pick up speed again. She also said that anyone's thyroid levels can change at any moment like with my case. I was 32 when I started noticing weight gain because I was'nt one and still not, just to be eating everything in site or all day and that was a lightbulb moment for me.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

MSW will not settle
on 6/8/11 3:48 am

It may not be surgery related.  Hypothyroid becomes more common as women age. 

A good endcrinologist who works with how you feel as well as blood test results is tough to find.  In my experience DO's do better at this than MD's.  Of course you want to have your regular wls follow up to ensure there is no surgical issue as well. 

Best wishes in finding the solution to your issue. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

no_more_rolls
on 6/8/11 4:05 am - Jackson, MI
I'm a pre-op. I am hypo-thyroid (I have Hashimoto's to be specific). I recommend seeing an endocrinologist that will not base your results on your TSH lab values only. Make sure the endo will check your free T3, free T4, and TSH to determine if you are hypo-thyroid. Studies have shown the TSH test is not always accurate, although several docs still use that test as the main diagnostic tool.

I also suggest searching the archives, as I've noticed there are several hypo-thyroid members on OH...some were pre-op, some were post-op.

Good luck!

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/8/11 5:54 am - Belleville, IL
As others have said, the only way to tell that is to have your doctor or endocronologist run labs for it. It is quick, painless and easy to detect.

I have hypothyroid and take synthroid daily.  WLS in general does not "Give" you any diseases of the endocrine system. Are you taking your vitamins religiously? Your supplements? Are you menopausal or near menopausal age? How many calories per day are you eating? Protien grams? Carb grams?

All of the above can add to bounce back weight. Good luck and I hope you find out what is going on.

Warmly,
Jackie

2nd_Chance_Chick
on 6/8/11 6:39 am
agree with you. I started early stages of the pause when I  was 29. Menopause.....it's something else. I wish you men had it! lol(joking) i think.

I know what i'm doing,I have it all planned-plans to give you the future you hope for.Jeremiah 29:11(The Message)

With God's Will, I was approved!

Most Active