RNY or VSG (for someone w/ PCOS)

bluehen
on 6/13/11 1:11 am - New York, NY
I have been tossing around the idea of WLS surgery for a few years.  This year, I have finally decided, it is time!

I originally thought lap band was the only way to go.  It seemed less invasive, could be reveresed, quicker recovery time.  Then I started doing research and now I'm set on RNY and seems to be the way to go (for me at least).  That is, until I started to read about the sleeve!  Now I'm debating b/w the two. 

I have my consultation w/ my surgeon next Monday and I have been doing a ton of research but I would like to know, anyone in my shoes...or had the same conflict?
BuckeyeGirl
on 6/13/11 2:06 am - TN
I don't have PCOS, so I'd rather not weigh-in on the subject, but, I did want to encourage you to post this question on the VSG board as well. I know there are members there with PCOS and it may be helpful to you to hear their experiences.

Best of luck!
Lindsey

bluehen
on 6/13/11 2:14 am - New York, NY
Thanks Lindsey!
beemerbeeper
on 6/13/11 3:41 am - AL
The DS has the best results for PCOS resolution because of it's extraordinary metabolic effect.  Check it out at www.DSFacts.com.  Come talk to our DS moms on the DS forum as well.

~Becky

facethemusic
on 6/13/11 3:46 am
I have severe PCOS and I feel your pain.  I'm glad you decided against the Lap Band.  My surgeon took my PCOS into consideration when he recommended the RNY.  The RNY or the DS are going to be the two best surgeries to help address the issues associated with PCOS.  If my insurance would of covered the DS that is what I would of had done.  However, they didn't and my choices were VSG, Lap Band or RNY.   The VSG is a great surgery, but it doesn't address metabolic issues such as PCOS.  I didn't feel like I could lose with restriction alone and choice a surgery with malabsorption.  I was told that the malabsorptio would help reverse the insulin resistance I have battled for so long.  It's still early to tell if it has helped or not, but I can tell you that some of PCOS symptoms have abated since surgery.  My periods are actually regular now.  I no longer have as much crazy hair growth.  I am also losing weight which I could not do before surgery even with the help of Metformin.  

Only you can decide which surgery is right for you.  I would encourage you to go on the surgery forums and post your question.  There you will find more people that have had the specific surgeries you are looking into.  Good luck to you no matter what you decide.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

bluehen
on 6/13/11 4:06 am - New York, NY
Thank you for your input everyone! :)  There seems to be pros and cons to both, RNY and VSG.  I haven't given any thought to DS (but like facethemusic), I believe my insurance only covers lap band, RNY and VSG.  With the PCOS, it has been almost impossible to lose any weight.  I didn't want to take the WLS route but I'm not getting any younger and health-wise, can't afford to gain any more weight!  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 4:33 am - Lancaster, OH
Just a quick note concerning the insurance coverage:
If your insurance covers the RNY, it should cover the DS.  If Insurance refuses, you can appeal their decision and most likely get the DS covered.  Their argument MAY be that the DS is experimental, but that is not true.  Kind of like a doctor who only performs RNYs telling you that the DS is too extreme and is dangerous.  Not true either.
Whatever you decide, I wish you much success.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/13/11 4:16 am
PCOS is a huge reason I chose the DS. More metabolic help than RNY, without some of the issues like dumping, inability to take NSAIDs, marginal ulcers, reactive hypoglycemia.

The sleeve is a great surgery, if you only need restriction. With the PCOS and screwed up metabolism, it wouldn't have been enough for me. The PCOS related things (irregular periods, insulin resistance, skin tags, darkened skin) are all resolved for me. If I were you, I'd definitely do some research before getting cut.

BTW, if your surgeon doesn't do the DS, and most don't, then it's very unlikey you will get accurate info about the DS. You need to research first, then contact a surgeon.
_Leslie_
on 6/13/11 4:37 am - Franklin, WI
agree 100% with this post!!!

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/11 4:48 am, edited 6/13/11 4:48 am
After 3 years with RNY - if I could do-over I would have the sleeve. 
Way too many complications with RNY, too many restrictions. Too many problems, and too many deficiencies. (I am low in iron again, not to mentions soooo many other issues)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active