When do you take Percocet

Linda_S
on 6/13/11 11:27 am - Eugene, OR
Since you are on your first day out of surgery and it's been about 12 hours, I think I'd take one and see how you feel in three-four hours.  It is very likely that they gave you a topical anesthetic, so when that wears off, you could be in a world of hurt -- most likely some time during the middle of the night.  I have oxycodone (percocet without the tylenol) that I take for back pain.  I had a three level spinal fusion 2.5 years ago.  I have these powerful drugs at my disposal when I need them, but I've never had a problem with addiction.  When I am in pain I take them, but can go months without needing any of them.  Apparently, my biggest addiction in life has been food.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Chilipepper
on 6/13/11 11:48 am
You need your rest to heal...I would take it before bed so you can get some sleep....better to stay on top of the pain, rather than trying to medicate it after it starts...after tomorrow...I am sure you probably won't need them...

Good luck Sugar!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Judi J.
on 6/13/11 11:51 am - MN
Herc, if you do take them, pain killers constipate, take preventative action! (and I can't believe I just typed that but my husband learned the hard way after his hernia surgery!)

I vote for staying ahead of the pain.
Stephanie W.
on 6/13/11 12:00 pm - MA
 In My expierience and advice of taking them....is that you should take as perscribed, for the first few days, stay on top of the pain, after those few days, you should stretch the doses out a few hours, and kinda see how you feel. Byt hen your body will tell you what you should do. As far as addiction you'd have to be taking A LOT of them daily for about 10 days straight for you the end up with a psysical addiction. Take as directed, and if you have other questions about it, call your Docs office, most weight loss teams are more than happy to halp you...Good Luck, and rest, rest and moe rest are the best things right now!
Lifebeauty
on 6/13/11 12:51 pm
Take it before the pain sets in.  I don't have any addictions and I hate pain.  After surgery I took the meds for the first couple of days.  Felt I no longer need them so didn't take any more.  Seems like you are a sensible person that is taking precautions.  Best wishes on your recovery from sinus surgery.
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

hercules411
on 6/13/11 9:25 pm
Update. So far  about ten ours post op, I really only feel a dull headache. A couple of Extra Strength Tylenol got me through the night. Thanks for all the feedback.
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/11 1:32 am, edited 6/14/11 1:33 am
If you do not really need to - don't take them. 
Narcotics nauseate me and I had a hard time dealing with that. Sometimes - the Tylenol is all you need. (I found that the hard way)

The narc and alcohol have a funny way to work on some of us post op RNY.
And if you do decide to take same - start with one pill and go from that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hercules411
on 6/14/11 5:01 am
15 hours after sinus surgery, all I took was the extra strength tylenol last night.  The drainage from my nostrils has decreased markedly.  That's more of a bother than any pain issues. It was the same with my RNY. I hated emptying that damn drain coming out of my side more than any pain.
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

Most Active