Have things changed in the last 5 years??

cutiebootz
on 6/23/11 10:51 am - milwaukee, WI
Soooo since when has the Gastric bypass surgery changed where...
A. You poo and farts will no longer smell horrid after 6months?? (because I am 5 years out and mine still ain't right!)

B. Your hair won't fall out if you drink your protein.  (Ummm I was the protein shake queen and I lost my hair and its still thin but not as bad, but its not going to ever be the same.)

C. YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE CALCIUM BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU GET KIDNEY STONES, THUS DOCTOR TELLS YOU NOT TO TAKE THEM.....  WHAT THE HELL KIND OF STUFF IS GOING ON?? MY MOTHER-IN-LAW WAS TOLD ALL THIS BY HER DOCTOR.. I KNOW SHE DON'T LISTEN TO STUFF AND SHE ONLY LISTENS TO STUFF HALF ASSED, SO SHE MIGHT HAVE HEARD WHAT SHE WANTED TO, WHICH IS ALWAYS BITS AND PIECES..

WHENEVER I TELL HER THINGS ABOUT WHAT I WENT THROUGH SHE DON'T BELIEVE ME AND SHE JUST IS LIKE UM WHATEVER.. OK. I LOST 143LBS IN A YEAR, SO I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING RIGHT! SO NOW,
SHE DID A LIQUID DIET 2 WEEKS BEFORE HER SURGERY. LOST 12LBS. THEN SHE HAD HER GASTRIC ON MAY10TH, AND AS OF TODAY SHE HAS LOST A TOTAL OF 32LBS. SO THE GASTRIC BYPASS ONLY HAD HER LOSE 20LBS. I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, BUT WE WENT TO HER HOUSE TODAY AND I AM SO DISAPOINTED IN HER, THERE WAS MCDONALDS BREAKFAST IN THE GARBAGE, EGGS ATE, SASUAGE ATE, AND HALF A BISCIT!!! WTF!!!  
SHE TOLD MY HUBBIE SHE ATE CHICKEN BREAST ALREADY AND OTHER MEATS AND JUST CHEWS THE HECK OUT OF THINGS. FROM WHAT I SEE SHE CHEWS ALOT SHE SHOULDN'T.
THIS UPSETS ME BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T TAKE THIS SURGERY SERIOUSLY.. I TRIED TO TELL HER THINGS, I EVEN PRINTED HER STUFF ON THE SURGERY BEFORE AND AFTER.

I AM SORRY, ITS HER LIFE. BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO FEEL BAD FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT LOSING WEIGHT.
HER FRIEND JUST HAD HER SURGERY YESTERDAY, THE SAME GASTRIC BYPASS. I KNOW THAT SHE WILL DO WONDERFUL!!!  SO WE WILL SEE HOW THINGS GO.
IT JUST BOTHERS ME BECAUSE I TOOK THIS SURGERY WHEN I HAD SOOOO SERIOUS. I DIDN'T START TO DABLE INTO CRAP UNTIL MY 3RD YEAR. BUT BECAUSE OF STERIODS THAT I WAS ON FOR A PERIOD OF TIME I GAIN ABOUT 48LBS BACK AND ITS HARD FOR ME TO LOSE WEIGHT. BUT I JOURNALING AND GOING FOR MY 5TH YEAR FOLLOW UP AND SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IN MY DIET..
MAYBE ITS ALL THE CALCIUM I AM TAKING!!!! LOL

THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME VENT EVERYONE..

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

GOAL/ Lowest 141!-New goal -145
http://www.myspace.com/skinnycutieboo

DebsGiz
on 6/23/11 8:32 pm - FL

Glad you have a place to vent.  Now, just get on with your own life because that's the only life you have any control over.

Your mother-in-law will have to deal with her choices as we all do.

I know it's hard when you see someone you care about self destructing, but you have no control over it so just take a deep breath, step back, and release the anxiety you're feeling because it only harms your emotional well-being to do otherwise. 
cutiebootz
on 6/23/11 9:09 pm - milwaukee, WI

Thank you soo much! I have to tell my husband that so that he doesn't get anymore upset either. Thank you again. Its hard to watch someone do that to themselvs. BUT its true, its their life and they will do what they will do.
I should be putting that energy into fixing myself ... So thank you. I just wanted to vent is all.
I am going for my follow and talking to my doctor and nutritionist to see what is going in my life and how to fix it. Thank you

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

PatXYZ
on 6/25/11 12:16 pm
Sorry, I'm just curious, what exactly do you see wrong with what your mom is doing? Egg and sausage from McD's is hardly the worst thing she could eat, it's just protein (but she definitely should not have had the half biscuit). Eating chicken and other meats at over a month out is recommended in my program... I haven't had surgery yet, so I'm interested in what exactly you think she's doing wrong because it sounds normal to me. They told us to expect a 20lb loss per month for the first few months, so that also seems about right for where your mom is at. Also, what do you mean about the weird smelling poo? I've never heard that mentioned for RNY, only DS, and that is from vets and healthcare professionals.
I agree she got some bad info from her surgeon re: calcium and hair loss though - while it is true that they are now telling people who have normal calcium levels not to supplement due to health risks, it is very unlikely that her levels will be normal in 3 months time. I'm sure she'll change her mind when she starts to see the consequences, they will check her calcium at her labs and advise her as to whether she needs to supplement then. As far as I know there isn't anything that can stop the hair loss though...
cutiebootz
on 6/25/11 12:37 pm - milwaukee, WI

I am sure that the eggs and sausage from Mcdonalds are high in fat and eggs cooked with butter,She also had half a buscuit, that is not the first things you are supposed to have when you eat. They want you to focus on Proteins and healthy foods. RYN'ers have stronger smelling bowel movents and gas. I have had this for years now. The point that I was trying to make its that she is making dission that can stall weight loss, and I am sure that her pouch is not healing correctly from how the consistance of food is heavy. I am no doctor but I did alot of research before, during and have gone through in my last 5 years. Lean meats, eggs made with a light cooking spray not butter. That is all I was saying. That and for a doctor to lie and stear his patient in the wrong direction. I am just worried that she is going to lose hair and be dissapointed that they lied to her, that her smells will be with her for a while especially when you drinking protein it get sooo much worse. So I hope that I explained myself better. I don't mean to upset anyone. I am just upset at the fact that she doesn't listent to someone that has gone through 5 years and nows the in and outs. SHe just doen't understand why she isn't losing, and I am not about to get into it with her as to why. She just doesn't seem to grasp the point that she is malnuritioning and she should be taking her suppliments. BUT if that is what her Doctor says, well so be it.. I wish you luck i your Journey and hope that everything goes go well for you. I know that everyone loses different. Sorry again.

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

MsBatt
on 6/25/11 4:13 pm
Try doing a search on RNY and gas/poo smells---there have been some theads on here that are...remarkable, to say the least. (*grin*)

Malabsorption most definitely changes the scent of our output. Refined carbs seem to cause the most stench, but really any food can affect things. (Think broccoli, for instance.)

It tends to be a YMMV sort of thing---what affects A may not affect B at all.
Most Active